The Flower

*I was listening to the Dear Evan Hansen while writing the ending of this chapter. So I thought I would add it to set the mood.*

You and Varian were supposed to run and turn off as many of the water tanks as possible, but instead he was taking you back to where the blue flower was. You let go of his hand.

"Varian what are you doing!? We need to shut off the other tanks before the whole town is destroyed!"

He grabbed your shoulder lightly and tried to give an reassuring smile. "Don't worry, there is a short margin of error. The tremors could still be nothing. The flower is much more important. There are secrets about it we can never begin to manage. It can even tell me a bit about Rapunzel's hair!" That caught your attention.

"What do you mean it could tell us about Rapunzel's hair!?" All of a sudden, you heard something that sounded like glass breaking and their was a huge puddle of the flower based energy compound trailing from where the machine was. Both you and Varian knew that if too much of the compund touched the machine the damage is guaranteed to be catastrophic. The two of you ran to the machine and sure enough, it was sputtering out of control. 

"Varian! The machines are going to explode any minute! We need to get out of here before it's too late." He nodded and pulled you out of the cavern and ran out into town without you.

"Varian wai-". You saw the spectrum machine and remembred that Rapunzel needs this in order to read her tests. Well, you did not come here just to get blown up. This was so important to her, and as lady in waiting, it was your job to protect her and help the princess as much as possible.

You wheeled the spectrum to the lab and ran inside. Eugene seemed to be explaining something really important to Rapunzel and Cassandra. Nobody noticed you were there until you started connecting the machine to the testing table. Rapunzel saw you and directed the others' gazes towards you. 

"(y/n) thank goodness you're safe".

"Are you okay kiddo!? What happened?"

"Where's Varian!?"

You finally looked up from the table. "He ran back into town!"

Eugene stiffened. "He's going to get himself killed!" The lab began to shake immensely and Ranpunzel began to worry. "Umm Eugene?"

Cass pulled out her sword. "Eugene, I will get Varian."

You jumped up and followed Cass. "I'll come with !" 

Eugene was about to protest but the test results began printing as the building continued to collapse. "Eugene, I need those results!"

He had no choice but to watch you run out into danger, just to save someone else all over again.

________________________________________________________________________________

The village was in a state of chaos. Chunks of metal and debris was flying everywhere, creating clouds of dirt when they collided with the ground. In the distance you saw someone running admidst all the chaos. 

"Varian!" Cassandra caught up to Varian while dodging chunks of broken machines. She grabbed the sleeve of his shirt but he protested.

"Kid we need to go! It's not safe here!

"No!! I still have 3 more machines to turn of! I can't let this happen again  . . ." You were trying to catch up to them but you saw a shadow. You looked up and saw a tube of metal flying toward them. Before you could catch up, it landed.

"NNOOO!!!!"

You stopped running and fell to your knees. Cass . . . one of the people who saved you . . . is gone.