Chapter 8 - The Kiss

Y/n texted her parents saying she was going over to Bree's house for homework so they wouldn't worry in case you stayed out late. She walked to the border, mentally cursing at herself. "This is crazy, why am I doing this?? I could get in so much trouble!" she muttered to herself.

She finally reached the entrance to Zombietown. Her heart flutters once she saw Zed. He flashed his smile which she loved so dearly and walked out of the shadows. "Hey, you made it!"
"Yeah, I can't believe I'm actually doing this," she grinned. He took her hand and started to walk in, "Trust me, you're gonna love this."

The two walk inside the old science lab where the outbreak happened. She gulped. Zed looked over at her and noticed how nervous she looked. He squeezed her hand gently as they walked into the elevator. "You'll be okay. I'll protect you," he chuckled, kissing her hand.

She blushed, "Thanks." she looked at his face as he looks down at his wrist, frowning. "Hey, you okay? You don't look so hot," she commented. "Ouch," he pretended to be offended. She laughed, "You know what I mean!"

He sighed, "It's my Zband. I've been hacking it, that's how I've been able to win the football games. My entire wrist is numb, I can't feel it," he said. "Isn't that dangerous?" she looked at his wrist then looked in his eyes. He shrugged, "If I don't win, zombies will never be accepted."

She put her hand on his shoulder, "You shouldn't have to cheat to be accepted. You're amazing just the way you are."

The elevator stopped and it opened to reveal zombies partying everywhere. She gasped, "This is all for you winning?!"

The two walked out and he smiled, looking around, "Its not just a win for me, (Y/n/n), it's a win for all of us. A win for change." She looked at a piece of artwork on the wall and marveled at it, "It's beautiful."

"Zombies have a rich language. 27 different words for brains!" He exclaimed. She laughed, "That's insane! So, you like a girl with braaaaains?" She joked. Zed laughed. Eliza walked over, frowning deeply, "You know that's super offensive, right?"

Her eyes went wide, "No, I didn't, I'm so sorry! I'm still learning that zombies aren't what I was taught."

"You brought pom poms to our zombie mash? Zed, really?" Eliza rolled her eyes. "It's not gonna do any harm, relax," Zed frowned.

Y/n heard cheering and she looked up at Zed. He grinned, "It's starting!" He took your hand and he lead her to the performance.

He left her behind to go join the zombies performing. She had no idea he was going to perform!

After an amazing quick show, he came back off stage, completely pumped. "Zed, that was amazing!" She hugged him tightly. He grinned, "I'm glad you liked it!"

He hissed and clutched his wrist, and she looked up at him worriedly. "Are you okay?"
He nodded, "Give me a minute." He disappeared somewhere leaving Y/n alone. She started to wonder off, seeing what was around. Y/n entered a hallway and heard a little girl chanting.

She followed the voice and her heat melted. A little girl around the looks of 7 was pretending to be a cheer leader, chanting her own cheer.

"I'm crazy, I'm cute, zombies are cool! I'm rocking, I smile, zombies aren't vile! Yaaaay!" Y/n grinned, "That's some great cheering!" She stopped and gasped when she saw Y/n. "I wasn't doing.. anything.. I wasn't cheering at all..." she dropped her fake pom poms, "please don't tell anyone," she muttered, pouting.

She smiled, "Your Zed's little sister, right?" she smiled and sat down, "I'm Zoey. You're (Y/n)!" Y/n nodded. "Cheering makes me happy," Zoey said.

"Me too, in a way. You're great at cheering, Zoey," Y/n replied. "Thanks, but my pet Xander doesn't really seem all that impressed," she frowned. "Well, he should be," Y/n boop'd the dog's nose and smiled, "I think you're old enough to have a real pet. Wouldn't that be great?"

Her eyes light up and she grinned, nodding. "Stop teasing her," a voice says from behind Y/n. She turned around and saw Eliza standing in the doorway with crossed arms. "You know zombies aren't allowed to have pets."

"Oh, no, I didn't! I'm so sorry! I'm still learning who zombies really are," Eliza frowned. "I mean, look at you. You're awesome, smart, pretty," she told her. She smiled, "You think I'm pretty?"
"Yeah!"

Zed came in the room, "There you are!" He smiled. His smile fades when he saw Zoey. "Zoey? What are you doing here?"

"I wouldn't have missed a zombie mash!" she pouted. "Zoey.." he sighed. "Come onnn!" she whined. "Who's a good boy?" Zed sighed and crossed his arms, "Rrrruff," he said. Y/n raised a brow, watching them.

He stuck his tongue out and ran over to her like a dog, "Me," he said, grinning. "Good boy, good boy!" She pat his head, giggling.

Her heart swells, he is such a sweet brother to her. "Alright, alright, I'll take her home," Eliza said, picking Zoey up. "Zed's gotta make sure (Y/n) gets out of here safely."

"We should hang out, Eliza! Oh, and I love your boots!" Y/n turned to Eliza and smiled. She smiled softly, "Thanks!" she turned to leave and smiled at Zed, "She's cool."

"Yeah, for a human, right?" He chuckled. "Nope, she's just, cool." Eliza starts to walk off but Y/n stopped her. "Wait! Don't want to forget Xander!" she grabbed her stuffed puppy and gave Zoey her furry friend back. She hugged him tightly, "Bye (Y/n)!"

A little later, Zed grabbed her hand and lead her to another area.

"What is this place?" she looked around. The room was filled with little light bulbs held up my sticks. Even though it looked old and rustic, it was beautiful.

"It's a zombie light garden," he said. "Where are we going?" she asked while he lead her up the stairway. "For a walk in the park," he replied, smiling.

They walked around for a bit, admiring the place before he stopped her. He rest his hands on her waist and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She looked in each other's eyes and she  grinned, "Thank you so much for bringing me here.. I love it."

"I'm glad," he smiled and rest his hand on her cheek. His touch made her feel tingly, and her heart began to race. He stroked her cheek gently, "You're so beautiful.." she blushed deeply.

He leaned in closer to her and the two closed their eyes. She could feel his warm breath just inches away from her lips. And after a moment, he kissed her.

Y/n was frozen at first, but kissed him back. She felt sparks fly all throughout her body and she was sure her heart was about to break out of her chest from beating so hard.

He laid both his hands on her cheeks gently as he deepened the kiss. The lights started to shut off and you began to hear screaming. "Zombies, show yourselves, you're out past curfew!" An officer yelled.

Zed broke the kiss quickly and without saying a word ran off, leaving Y/n alone. "Curfew?!" You gasped.

A light is shone on her back and her breath hitched, "Zombie, show yourself." She turn around and her eyes go wide, "Gus?!"

"(Y/n)? What are you doing here? This is a hotbed for zombie activity, it's not safe here!" Gus exclaimed, shocked that his boss's daughter was here. She frowned and looked down, "C'mon, let's get you home."

There was no way she could wriggle her way out of this. The kiss didn't even matter now, all that mattered was how furious her parents would be, and that scared her.