The Body In The Bed

The story makes me think of another legend that I have read. I believe it was called room 609. About a lady and her husband who stay at a hotel. I don't remember what city it was nor the state but it freaked me out. 

The hotel room was suppsedly 'haunted' and their was a foul smell and the husband ending up taking his own life out the window of the room. Another version was of a widowed lady who stayed at the hotel to visit a relative. 

The room felt rather depressing and lured the lady towards the window, daring her to kill herself, but she managed to look away and run like hell to teh lobby to ask for a different room. This made me think of the Shining also, with that one room with the lady in the shower. 

Jack Nicholson was great in that movie by the way. Well here goes nothing... 

THE BODY IN THE BED

Christina Hampton, no not like the Hampton, was recently widowed after twenty-seven years of being married. She left for Chicago, where her husband Had grown up for the funeral. 

Checking into the hotel, she sighed and looked around her. It felt so cold without him, like there was nothing good about anything. His laugh, his smile, those eyes that were of an old soul, made the tears prick in her eyes. 

The front desk lady gave her the key to her room and she went up the elevator, dragging her suitcase right beside her. 

Was it her fault he died? She shouldn't have made him go out to the store so late. Then that driver wouldn't have hit them, he would be there in the bed, sleeping. Christina wouldn't be here right now, she would be at hime smiling and looking over her grandchildren while the kids went out. 

She would be laughing along with george, having a good time. Her friend, her love, her everything was gone, ripped away from her in a matter of moments. Was she too conceited? Selfish? Did she do something wrong? 

This was one of the many questions that would never be answered, probably because it wasn't the right one. 

She stuck the key into the door and pushed it open. It was a small room with yellow walls,  a faded red carpet and a red and gold bedspread. There was a small TV, a dresser and bathroom at the end. 

She sat in the room all alone, to mourn over the death of george and be secluded in her own thoughts until the funeral. 

*** 

That night as Christina tossed and turned in her bed, unable to sleep. A cool breeze sent shivers down her spine. She snuggled into the comforter, trying to keep warm. The breeze was even cooler now. She looked over at the open window. 

She slowly sat up,watching the curtains flow under the moonlight. There was something odd about it. She lifted the covers up and walked slowly to the window. She felt guilt and grief build up inside of her. 

She looked over the edge, down at the cars and the people on the sidewalks. She felt something push her, trying to shove her over the edge. She grasped the window seal, trying not to fall. With one hand she shut the window and locked it. 

 An hour later, after she had snuggled back in bed and made sure she had the sheets wrapped tightly around her, she felt the cool breeze yet again and looked over to see one other than the window open. 

In the back of her mind, she made a mental note to tell someone at the hotel that the lock was broken. She got up once more and felt pain and anger. Grief and guilt enter her body as she stepped towards it. 

She kept a firm grip on the window seal, the pushing had started again. It was as if someone wanted her to jump. She closed the window, put on a jacket and sweats and grabbed her bag and left the room. 

She went to the front desk and said. "Could I please have another room?" Christina handed her the key and the lady looked at it in shock. "Who gave you this room?" 

"The lady from earlier." 

"I'm so sorry about that. No one is supposed to enter that room." 

"May I ask why?" 

The lady gulped and looked around her before leaning forward and saying, "Well, there was a man that stayed in that hotel room a few years back. He jumped out the window and committed suicide. To this day no one knows why." She handed Christina a key to a different room

The rest of the night, Christina could sleep peacefully.