Toxic Bling

Not really a legend but it made me think about writing a possible one. It was another story from BlackBoxTV. Their's was about a boy and a girl in their early twenties who headed down to Mexico on vacation. 

The boy bought her a necklace and she put it on. It was a cross necklace. That night they went to the hotel, they had separate rooms and some weird stuff starts to happen. The boy calls her and tells her to take the necklace off but she doesn't want to and ends up almost dying.

This poison necklace story is actually true. The Ecology Center and Healthy stuff.org report that 59% of low-cost jewelry sold at stores like Walmart, Kohl’s, Forever 21, H&M, Hot Topic and Target, contained one or more chemicals considered by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to be a hazard to human health at high levels. Of 99 pieces of jewelry analyzed by X-ray fluorescence for the presence of these chemicals, 27% contained greater than the 300 parts-per-million (ppm) limit for lead set by CPSC for use by children, and 13% contained greater than 100 ppm of arsenic, which has been linked to bladder, kidney, lung, liver and prostate cancers following repeated exposure. Other compounds that appeared in the analysis included cadmium, a toxic metal used in electroplating processes and in battery production that can build up in the kidneys and impair kidney function and contribute to reproductive abnormalities and lung cancer.

That was a snippet of an article called  Toxic Bling: Jewelry Contains Hazardous Levels of Lead and Other Chemicals. From Health land Time. 

Now that I have supplied you with the information...

TOXIC BLING

It was an accident, I don't even remember doing that. All I remember was heading to the hotel back from the party. What was happening? I never did anything like this... 

*** 

"Charlie! Look at this beautiful necklace!" I took out the one with the zebra head, gold and silver laced the sides with crystal black eyes. It was so beautiful. "Do you want it Eva?" He asked me. I nodded enthusiastically as he took the necklace and went to the cash register. 

He got himself a tiger, with the same crystal black eyes and gold and silver laced around it. After we had left the small shop, Charlie put my necklace on for me. "It's so pretty" I whispered as I watched it gleam in the sunlight. 

He lifted my chin up and placed a small kiss on my lips, enough to make me swoon. We walked hand in hand down the sidewalk and to the hotel. 

*** 

I put on my purple dress and strapped my black high heels on. Charlie opened the door and smiled, "You look beautiful." I giggled as he took my hand and we walked to the lobby. The party was just down the street. 

We met up with Cynthia, Chad, Zach, and Zita. We were outside behind a giant building where they were having an after party for a music festival. Only people with tickets got in. We danced to the great tunes blasting out of the speakers. 

Zita handed everyone drinks, my fourth beer and I sipped it eagerly. I was already feeling highly intoxicated. It was strange because it takes a lot more beers to do this to me. Charlie spun me around and I laughed. 

It was twelve midnight and the party was still pumping, better then ever before. I kissed Charlie's lips and walked to the bar. That was the last thing I remember. 

*** 

"911 what's your emergency?" 

"Yes, theirs two bodies in the middle of the street, their heads cut off." 

"Where are you?" 

"We're at Santa Monica Pier." 

everyone was screaming and crying, calling police in the cold night. Sirens sounded as the police cars and ambulances raced down the pier. The medics hopped out and attached the two bodies onto gurneys, hoping to save them. 

"Eva! Where's Eva!?" Charlie screamed. The four friends shook their heads, Cynthia cried, choking on her tears. Charli looked around frantically for his girlfriend. 

*** 

I was there, watching everything in slow motion. My phone rang. I didn't answer. Everything was hazy as I twirled around and danced. I don't know what came over me. I felt different, new. 

my voice mail rang out. "Eva listen to me! You have to take that necklace off! It's evil, you'll die!" 

I tried so hard to move, to think, to feel. But something came over me. I couldn't control my body. I just kept twirling and dancing. It was like I wasn't even there. 

I collapsed on the floor blacking out. 

*** 

They took her into the police station, she wasn't the same person. A bloody knife in her hand, stains all over her chest. A sick twisted smile etched over her lips. Where was Eva? This wasn't her. This was evil. 

This was the necklace.