Part 13

I sit under the shower and break into sobs.

The warm water feels comforting on my skin.

This was supposed to be the day everything changes. I knew I should have never let my hopes up. Nothing ever goes my way.

I stand up and turn the water off.

I stumble out of the shower and hold onto the vanity for support. I grab a towel off the rack and start to dry myself.

I look into the mirror. There's bruising around my eye and a cut under my eyelid. The guy must have been wearing a ring.

My eyes travel down to my stomach, there's no bruise yet.

I run my fingers over it. Flinching at the pain, I stop touching it.

It must be internally bruised.

I throw a jumper over me and put on tracksuit pants.

I open the door and hop out of the bathroom, holding onto my side.

"You feel better Nia?" Mom asks, coming to assist me.

"Yeah."

She helps me into the lounge room where I see Lily playing with her dolls and Justin with his head in his hands. He looks up and I see he's eyes are sad and downcast.

I sit down on the couch, grunting in pain a little.

"You want me to get you anything Nia? Or do anything?" Mom asks.

"Can you take Lily for a walk?"

I noticed Lily was watching me and noticing something was wrong, she shouldn't be seeing this.

"Sure." She picks up Lily and gets her stroller. "Bye."

The door shuts and I break down again.

Justin brings me closer to him, making sure not to hurt me.

I sob into his chest again and he strokes my back.

After about 10 minutes I feel a lot better. I just there's just something about Justin's presence that makes me feel safe.

He decides to break the silence.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks comforting.

I sniffle and nod.

I move back into a sitting position.

I wipe my tears on my jumper sleeve.

"I-I went to the job interview. The boss was being really weird, I sensed something off about him. He then said 'not all things are just given to us in life sweetie' and started r-running his hand up my thigh. I jumped up and tried to leave b-but he wouldn't let me. He start touching me and kissing my neck. I kneed him in the balls and ran out of the building." I hold my breath. "I then found myself behind the building, I was panicking and didn't see the person I walked into. He had a mask covering his whole face. He shoved me against a wall, punched me in the face, kicked me in the gut and ran off with my bag." I let out my breath. "I thought things were meant to change."

"They will."

"When?" I look at him. "When?"

"I'll help you."

"I don't want your help."

"Nia, you can't do this on your own."

I sigh. "It could've been worse. So much worse."

"I'm gonna ring the police."

"What's the point?"

"No one can do this and just get away with it."

He rings them up and informs them of the situation.

He hangs up.

"They're aware of this guy, apparently he does this often. Scumbag. They don't know who he is but are looking into the-"

"I don't really care. What's happened has happened. I just want to forget it."

"Okay." He agrees. "I'm gonna call my manger and say I have to stay in New York longer."

"No, you need to go back to LA."

"Nia, I'm not going to leave you like this."

"I'll be fine."

"No. I'm calling him."

He calls him.

Justin's Point of View.

"Hey Scoot."

"Hey JB. What's up? You seem sad."

"I have to stay in New York a little longer."

"Sorry Justin, you can't, you have to come back."

"I can't, I have a situation here."

"What happened?"
"Someone close to me was hurt."

"That's awful. Who?"

"You don't know her."

"I hope she's okay, but you really need to come back. I don't want to seem inconsiderate but this is important."

"This is important too! I can't just leave her!" I get angry.

"I understand that Justin but you have no choice. You have to come back tomorrow. I may be able to get you a flight a little later but other than that you have to come. I'm really sorry." I hear a bit of noise on the other side of the phone. "Sorry, I have to go." He hangs up before I can argue again.

I turn back to Nia.

"Are you sure you are going to be okay?"

"Moms here, and Joel."

I bite my lip. Unsure of what to do.

I kneel down in front of her and look her in the eyes.

"Promise me you will be okay. I feel terrible leaving you. I need to make sure you will be fine."

"I'll manage. Besides, I'm just some random person you happened to of met. You don't need this."

"You're not some random person. You're someone I care deeply about."

Her eyes water at that.

"I'll be fine, I promise." She says honestly.

"Okay."

I hug her.