Chapter One ... Mated

1998

POV
Lucas

My name is Lucas Obadiah Kelson, I'm an Omega werewolf, born into the great Brickston pack

Everything I'm about to tell you is true, everything in this book is true.

My story starts with me looking out at the full moon, from my bedroom window.

To werewolves the moon is sacred, we call her Luna. The moon is living, it's a spirit, a great goddess.

Werewolves have the unique ability to see the moon for its true self, it's strange explaining, but the moon basically changes color. And when she does, we're greatly affected.

And on the night this story starts it was a pink moon, the strawberry moon. She was beautiful, I remember staring up at her, wondering why I felt so on edge.

Of course, I sorta knew why; I turned nineteen that day. At nineteen, werewolves are mature enough to sense our mates.

We do this in a number of different ways, but most follow their nose, one's mate smells like whatever attracts you the most...

For me, he smelled like wood-burning during a summer rain. But once again, I'm ahead of myself.

A mate is one's other half, someone made exactly for you. Someone you're destined to grow old with if you're lucky enough to find them.

I guess I was lucky. As I said, I was standing in my bedroom, a bedroom filled with posters of celebrity guys from the early nineties.

It was my birthday, of course, I'd spent my birthday setting up for future the Alphas.

We share a birthday, Stone Brickston and I, but don't get me wrong, my parents gave me a hell of a birthday, right after I finished helping out the other Omega's.

Stone was arrogant, he was mean to a lot of people, but he was still a good Alpha. He protected the pack, fighting alongside his father, he had the scars to prove it.

He was loyal to his friends, and all in all, I never thought he was a bad Alpha, just misguided. I couldn't blame his parents, no, the Alpha and Luna we're great.

Luna Shelby and Alpha Tim, they were the perfect couple, strong and caring, running the pack with pride. Stone came from a powerful legacy.

The legacy is as old as the state of Mississippi, two hundred and two years of history. The pack has always been run by an Alpha and a strong Luna.

Never once in all those years of history, has there been a same-sex mating pair. Now it has happened a lot to other packs.

Not so many that there still weren't prejudices, but enough that it was acceptable.