40

"The pain doesn't go away, you just have to make room for it." 

---

(Meghan's POV.)

My head was pounding and my eyes were puffy, but both combined wasn't even close to enough for me not to process who was standing in the doorway. With the condition he was in, I was more surprised by the fact that he was managing to be upright and alert, rather than the fact that it was actually him.

It kind of hurt and I felt a weird sense of guilt because I wasn't surprised it was him, but with all that has happened it was bound to happen along with it. I told him many times that something dangerous would find its way to him, if he didn't stop. I guess when you don't listen, they won't hear you when you decide you want to listen. 

The gown he was wearing was patched with a deep red color, and woven around his head was a blood soaked bandage. He was breathing from tubes, which were connected to his oxygen tank he had pulled beside him. He leaned up against the door frame, a dead look on his paled and bruised face. 

"You must be ridiculously blinded by your obnoxious love for my sister if you can't see it is in fact all her fault." He coughed, the tubes that were taped to his hand jerked as he moved his hand to his grey lips. 

During the next few seconds, something clicked inside of me. It took a while, and by a while I mean 2 fucking months. It's like in those old scary movies where the children uncover some secret passage in their house that they were completely oblivious to for their whole lives. 

I saw this coming from the very start. He was going to turn on me. The topic nagged me like a small child tugging at my skirt, and it just blew past me every time we fought. He was doing this on purpose. 

"I get it." I said aloud, not meaning to at first but I let it slide. Joey looked at me with bugged eyes, not sure what had just happened. 

"Finally." David smiled, showing his teeth. Blood covered his gums, and it made me shiver in disgust. I could smell it from across the small hospital room. 

"I had to almost die for you to finally understand." He laughed, fiddling with the tubes that were taped to his cheeks. 

"What the hell-" Joey stood up from his kneeling position to get a better look at David, I assumed. I stood up as well, only to block Joey's body with an outstretched arm. He didn't understand, and I don't even think hours of explaining would help him understand. This was strictly between David and I, and I knew that's what he intended for it to be. 

"Before you claw my eyes out, I think I should tell you a few things." David held up a hand, that was also covered by a bandage. With all these fucking bandages on everyone, it made me wonder how bad this crash actually was. I shivered again at the thought. 

"Mind you this is Meghan's fault, not mine or yours. Meghan started drinking long before I did." David eyed me, and this is when my heart finally sank.

I had expected him to bring up my alcoholism, but not in front of Joey. He knew, but not the full story. Another reason why this was between David and I.

I braced myself for the worst, and I could tell by Joey's now clenched fists that he was doing the same. I shuffled closer to him. I let the tears fall this time around, no will to stop them was present in my system. 

"Before you came along, it was me that picked her drunk ass up from bars at 4 in the morning. Before you came along, she would actually tell me her problems. Before you came along, she wouldn't shut me out when something bad happened. She would call me, and tell me things. She would sometimes even go to her mom, which was such a good quality she had. When's the last time you called her, Meg? Christmas? Pretty fucking sad. Just thought I'd let you know she's worried sick about you. I hope after this you'll consider going back to Florida even more. You hesitated when I first told you about it, and that only happened because Joey here came along." He was in the room now, his lifeless eyes staring at both of us.