9

"A series of hurtful words can either make you or break you: they can make you furious, or they can break your heart."

---

 (Joey's POV.)

"What are you doing here?" Sawyer fumed, joining us in the heated argument.

He stepped inside, his sneakers squeaking on the finished wood floor. His glare was deadly, but I was trying my hardest to make sure he didn't notice the weakness in my stare. He smirked, in which I exhaled. He had read me like a book. He shoved me, my side colliding with the door frame. I wobbled to the left, and when I rebounded back I heaved my body forward and pushed my elbow into his rib cage. He grunted, his body flipping around so we were face to face. 

"Stop. Just fucking stop." Luke interrupted, practically begging. I was swallowing huge gulps of air by now, and I could feel the sweat starting to accumulate above my brow. I dried it with the back of my hand and looked them both in the eyes.

"You know what? Fuck you guys." I gave up, swiveling around and rushing out the door. I ran my fingers through my disheveled hair, the sun hitting my face as I strode down the driveway. I had only made it to the sidewalk, and I already felt like I was going to breakdown. I felt so brittle, so fragile. I was falling deeper and deeper. I didn't even know that was possible.

My phone went flying out of my hand and crashed down on the pavement, I let out on 'oof' as my shaken frame joined it. I heard the sound of someone spitting, and cringed at the feeling of the moisture on my exposed back. I rubbed it away with the material of my shirt and flipped myself over so I was facing Luke. His eyes were hungry for a fight. 

"Back the fuck up." I groaned. The grip on my  runners came in handy as I pushed myself up with one arm. My legs gave out when his hand coiled around my wrist that was hovering in the air for balance. He tugged me off the ground so our eyes were a mere two inches a part. I gulped, preventing any noise from escaping. I was so heated, my fists were burning. Sawyer wasn't the only one I wanted to punch right now. 

"Why are you so worked up over an annoying little bitch?" He spat. My mind whirled with pure outrage. My arm flung up and smacked him square across the face. His head snapped back for a second, but that didn't give him an excuse to grab a fistful of my shirt. 

"You fucking prick." He breathed. 

"There is something wrong with you." I said simply, my hand tingling from the contact. It felt good. 

"There is something wrong with you." He mirrored, letting go of my shirt. 

"This is about a girl. A fucking girl! You're shutting everyone out, all you're doing is sleeping and drinking! Suck it the fuck up and move on! You're treating us all like we're nothing!" He threatened. 

"She isn't even that good of a kisser." He added, smirking. With that, he whirled around and started walking back up the driveway. I couldn't even begin to explain my anger and my pure and utter shock. He fucking kissed her, and she never told me. He fucking touched her and she hadn't said a word to me. That inconsiderate idiot fucking violated her, and she remained silent. 

My legs burned. I wiped the gravel off my jeans and picked up my cracked phone. I jogged up the driveway, trying not to make any noise. It was so hard to keep it all in, I literally had to plug my nose so I would stop heaving. I stood outside the open door, listening to both of their voices.

"What did you say to him?" I heard Sawyer laugh.

"That she sucked ass at kissing." I could sense the smirk still plastered on that assholes face.