Chapter Thirteen

This is dedicated to Jazzyb13 because she is the most awesome fan ever who gave me a ton of encouragement to write this chapter! ♥

I know it has been forever since I last updated! I'm sorry! I've been working on this chapter for three weeks! Anyways, read, comment, vote, and enjoy!

"Am I dead?" I ask.

"Depends on what you would consider dead." Tenebris says sarcastically.

Ignoring that statement, I take the time to look around. My clothes were bloodied and torn, and hung limp from my body like rags. Looking to the left, I notice a dense forest that seems impenetrable. While to my right, was a desert that had the life sucked out of it.

"What is this place?" I say, looking around.

"Do you always have to ask how many damn questions?" the ghost whines.

"Yes, now answer me."

"Fine. We are at a crossroads."

"That was descriptive. Anything more you would like to add?"

"Hey Fatuus, don't get  snippy with me. I'm older than life itself." it snaps at me.

"Is that supposed to be an insult? Fatuus? What the hell?"

"It's your name in Latin." he says quickly, but continues. "Like I was saying, this is a crossroads. Yet, it is one of life and death."

Those words stay with me for a while. Tenebris seems to have a smug smile on his face, as I try to decipher what he means. Is it my crossroads? Or is it another's?

"Sorry to interrupt your thinking session, but to answer your question. Yes, this is your crossroads. Now you need to chose."

"Chose  what?" I ask, afraid of what I'll hear.

"Life or death. Death, which is the desert, will be the easiest path possible. All will have to do is keep on walking for eternity and never wake up. Yet, the forest of life is the more tricky part. It is filled with uncertainty and pain.  Fate says that you will fail in the end, but you could possibly change it if you have the desire to."

I look to the left, and then towards the right. The desert looks inviting and safe. Yet, the dark forest seems menacing. But, if I choose death, I would be giving up. I wasn't raised a quitter, and I will never be.

"So, what do you chose?" Tenebris asks me after the pregnant pause.

"Life." I say bluntly,and start walking over to the dark forest.

"I see. You know what Fattuss? That is what I like about you! I was almost certain you were going to pick death, but damn! You always find a way to shock me." Tenebris yells at me.

I barely pay attention to the yelling spirit. I reach the forest's edge, and stop to take a deep breath. 

"Okay, Ned you can do this." I whisper as I take a step into the dark.

***********************************************************************************************************

"Are you awake?" a voice asks me.

Groaning a reply, I struggle to sit up. My legs were still strapped down, but someone freed my arms. My limbs felt heavy and so do my eyes. I try to open them, but they don't budge.

"You probably can't open your eyes yet. Give them a few minutes, How ya' feeling?" the same person asks me.

"Like crap. Who are you by the way? I can't tell."