Chapter 7

The Hungry Joes burger joint was crowded with happy young adults and teenagers, The tiles clean and the waitress in read dresses with smiles on their faces. The place was filled with the smell of greasy food and pies. It was making my stomach growl. I was with Jack and a few of his friends who all welcomed me with kind faces and kind words. I felt welcomed and in an odd sense as if I knew them for a lifetime. The jukebox played Walk right back by the Everly Brothers. Their sweet voices hummed between the laughter and the sound of trays moving and bouncing through out the burger joint. We sat on a high table with high chairs that had my feet dangling. I felt like a small child with a chair far to big for myself. Once in a while I could feel myself kick my feet back in forth as such.

A blonde with long curly hair and the blues eyes named Betty sat next to me. Her lips painted red and her eye lashed long. Her cream colored dress matched her creamy ivory skin. She looked like a doll so professionally painted. She was as sweet as her appearance. Making great efforts to befriend my shy self.

"Oh you're going to love the food here Irelynn! The french fries are the best!" she was helping me choose through the menu, the french fries, onion rings, malts, shakes, different kinds of burgers. I was so hungry is all looked so good I wanted to order one of everything.

"I've had better than this place, nothing but hood rats come here anymore, I don't see why we bother coming here so often" a brunette with dark brown eyes, that wore her hair in a pony tail. She seem to be the most uptight. She never seem to enjoy anything of the topics. Her green dress was pretty and seems to be expensive as she wore it proudly. Unlike Betty the only make up on her face was on her eyes, her lips naked and olive like the rest of her skin. I had an uneasy feeling about her, something told me that we wouldn't be friends.

"Peggy Jean, you hate everything! Next time instead of saying I don't care where we go you could give a suggestion instead of making this entire outing unbearable" Peggy Jean huffed and rant toward the jukebox for a different song. Betty turned toward me " Oh don't you mind Peggy Jean she's always like that she means no harm. Can't help her attitude its all in her family you know, nose so high in the air they can't see where they're walking." I laughed as she did. Its nice to know her hostility wasn't just directed toward me. Jack and his friend Johnny a James Dean look a like were over talking to another group of people. Small towns know everyone I was beginning to learn this quick. The song changed to Dion's Runaround Sue. This was my current favorite and could feel my feet bouncing under the table to the tune. Peggy Jean returned the table snapping her fingers along to the music. Before I knew it all three of us were singing on the top of lungs, feeling the music, I was lost in the moment.

Johnny and Jack came in clapping and singing to the table, I felt like I was in those fancy movies. Singing and having fun it was timeless.

"Everyone decide what they want to eat?' Johnny asked still clapping along.

No one answered until the song was finished and before we could even begin to discuss food we all laughed. I was having more fun than I thought I would. I feel happy, and free. For the first time in a long time I was excited to be making friends, and hoping that this would be a new normal evening for me.

________________________________________________________________________________

The cheeseburger and onions rings filled my stomach. I could taste the food in my mouth, and I didn't mind. It was as good as Betty had promised. I couldn't wait to bring mother and father here. Hopefully this atmosphere will lightening them up and give them a chance to see our new little town. The burger joint was starting to quiet down as all the young teenagers had to get home. Adults filled in the spaces, talking among themselves and enjoying some Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson. I was in heaven, I could listen to music all night long. Peggy Jean was sipping her last bits of her strawberry malt. Making loud slurping noises that were annoying the entire table. We all must of been dying of hunger for no one said a word but rather stuffed all the food as fast as they could.