Chapter 5

My mind had gone back to normal as a few weeks have past. I was getting use to the house and started to realized that my mind was beginning to play tricks on me. Of course the nerves of starting a new life could do that to a person. Spring had arrived as the weather was beautiful. The birds chirping flying in the blue sky as the sun hung high bringing the warmth down on my neck. Mother and I were getting the garden ready for plants if we wanted our garden to be success we needed to get the seeds in by next week. The ground was rich and the dirt dark and moist. Mother said it would make for a wonderful garden. Father was enjoying his new job although I wasn't sure what he was doing. He left in the morning dressed in his best pants and shirt and happily walked out the door. This new life seem to be wonderful. I enjoyed being here and enjoying the time I had outside. I was forgotten to miss the life we left behind. Living in the country was a big change, instead of the noise of cars passing down the streets, children laughing and running away. We had the wind rustling the leaves that were slowly growing on the branches, and the birds singing their songs into the world. It was wonderful.

"Irelynn sweetheart, why don't you take a break from this here and head into town. We need a few things for dinner tonight. I left a list on the table along with some money." She stood up to wipe her forehead that day had gotten fairly warm.

"Alright mother I could use a nice walk, its such a beautiful day, I remembered you asking last night sorry I forgot about it or I would of gone sooner " We only had one car and father had that into town already. Town wasn't too far away maybe a mile. 

"The day is still early you should have plenty of time to get there and back" Mother went back to getting the ground ready. I brushed off some dirt of my dress and headed to the house. I've only been to town a few times but it was a straight shot down a gravel road. The day was  nice with no signs of rain. I grabbed the list and money off the table where mother said it would be and headed down the front porch. I felt a shiver run through my body as if someone was casting a curse on me. I turned around toward Miss Ellie's house and there she stood peaking out the curtains. I wondered all the time why she would be so nosy and peaking out her windows all the time. If she was so lonely should could come over instead of watching our lives through a glass pane. I waved to her to show that I could be friendly and it was the polite thing to do. She quickly let go of the curtains and let it fall down and close the outside world to her. I went on my way curious about Miss Ellie, and I wondered more about the family that lived there before. The trees were blowing n the wind and the high grass swaying along it was a perfect day. I looked over to the woods that surrounded my house, so dark yet silence appeared to be sucked around it. Something wanted me to go in there yet something strong was holding me back. My feet crunching in the gravel was the only real noised that kept me company. This walk would be so much nicer if I had someone to join me. I went back to my thoughts of the attic and all the belongings that were still there, why haven't my parents gone up there yet? Wouldn't there be curious to the treasures that stood untouched? Wouldn't the previous owners want their belongings back. I could see town nearer, it was a nice quiet small town. I liked it a lot I only wish I could make some friends. I love my parents but people my own age would be nice to have around. I missed my friends and ached for some girl time like I did back home. Home, that's where I am now and that's something that I needed to learn to remember. I checked the list my mother had set out for me to make the trip into the store fast. 

Eggs, Milk, bread, butter, carrots,

Darling there is some extra money, have yourself a treat before returning on the long walk home.

Enjoy, Mother.

I smiled what a nice surprise. I arrived into town cars parked on the side of the street, people busy with the little shops downtown. This is the town you would imagine reading about in a nice book. People friendly and the town beautiful with old buildings. It felt homey here yet my heart was back where I grew up. I decided it would be best for my treat before I had to bring the groceries home. I would have to hurry home. I walked into a small ice cream parlor, ice cream was my favorite and would be refreshing from the long walk to town.  I walked into the small ice cream parlor. The bar and stools that held a mother and her two children. They must be eating blue moon by the bright blue that was in their cones.