Chapter 3.

• Dedicated to Janice Blask, Aaron Blask The best parents in the world my inspiration and my he

My mouth hung open as the house stood there mocking me. Chills ran through my spine as I saw the light shining down on the white wrap around porch. Wicker chairs and table sit facing the woods. This couldn't be real. I was somehow trapped inside that nightmare. I closed my eyes and wished harder than I have on any star.

"Wake up, this is just a dream this isn't real" My eyes pinching tighter together as I kept begging myself to wake up. I slowly peaked my eyes open afraid of what would be in my sight. My eyes widened as the house still stood there. Mocking the dream that I just had. Millions of thoughts rushed through my head, how could this be? I've never been there before in my life how did I envision this house. What about the woods? I pulled at the door handle to let myself out of the car. Slowly I brought myself to stand, standing in front of the house staring at it, trying to make sense of it all. The house stood beautiful, the white Victorian with the boarders painted in colorful accents. High double doors, the house seem so big, much larger from the small colonial that we used to live in. I turned around to see the edge of the woods, a tunnel of darkness followed behind it. A chill set through my body, I was beginning to come familiar with chills taken over my body. I searched a little more and I saw the other small house from the dream. A garden filled under the windows of wild flowers and a wind chime that hung in the apple tree in the front yard. Only now the house looks more homey, more welcoming than it had in the dream. A little cottage with a warm fire is what imagine. The truck was parked in the other side of the gravel drive way, the movers carefully beginning to move our life into this new house.

The house was stunning I should be excited, a beautiful new home a fresh start. Yet I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. I stared intensely at the home, trying to find anything to give me a clue to why I felt the way I did. I saw a curtain move slightly in the window, a saw a hand full of age flash quickly. Almost as the person its attached too knew I was looking.

"Irelynn darling come pick out a room, they're all so beautiful!" My mother called out the front doors.

"Coming mama" I called back weary of letting my eyes leave the house. Something was in the air, I could almost taste the strange vibe that was floating around. I headed up the porch stairs, the doors were higher now that I stood before them. On top of the tall door frame was beautiful stained glass windows. I could see a rose painted in the middle. I opened the door to entry parlor. A beautiful crystal Chandelier  hung on the ceiling and a large stair case that lead to the upstairs. This house was left in the early period in which is was build. It looked as if someone tried to remodel some parts in the 1920's -1930's.  My father stood in the parlor that would be our future living room.

"Father may I ask you something?"  He turned to me, his face cheery he looked so happy to have such a beautiful home.

"Yes dear go ahead."

"If we couldn't afford our old house how can we afford this house?"

He chuckled to himself " This house for some reason was a steal! We got the house practically for nothing!" Something didn't settle in my gut right

"Didn't you question why such a beautiful house was so cheap? What's wrong with it?"

"Oh don't be silly its a small town things here are different" He smiled patted me on the head and walked off.

No, there's something just strange about this. The scent is bouncing in the air that I fill my lungs with. A darkness lingering over this land. I walked up the beautiful stairs, so much work went into this house. Its a piece of art. The wallpaper slightly faded in some areas from old painting or portraits I'm sure were hung. I wonder who the last family was to live here? What were they like? Why did they leave? Its strange living in a house with memories you'll never know. Secrets live in the walls watching as we created our new lives as old ones lay silent staining the house. 

I picked the room farthest down the hall, I thought I would enjoy the silence of having a hall to myself. The room was large it could of 3 of my last bedroom. What would one do with all this space. My parents picked the master room which was even larger. I had my own bathroom as well as a little balcony to look over the land. I could see that house from my view. Sitting cozy upon the beautiful dark land. I walked back into the hall to see my mother in the hall window. It was long and allowed the sun to shine within the house.

" Is that the room you picked out?" She asked not looking up. She was rummage through some of the boxes the moves have brought up the stairs

"Yes, I really the room, can't wait to put it together"

" Oh that's wonderful darling, why don't you take a look around the house, get acquainted with your new home," she looked up long enough to flash me a smile and continued sorting through the boxes. 

"Alright mother, I'll unpack later, once my boxes are all up the stairs."

Walking past the long hallway admiring the craft of the designs. I turned at the south wing the windows warming the hallway. A few small rooms I was sure my mother would used as an library and an office to keep important documents. At the end of the hallway was another door, already exploring every room I kept with my curiosity and opened the door. The door creaked as I slowly peaked in, old dusty stair case leading up. I looked around to be sure that no one was watching me, I'm sure my mother wouldn't want me snooping around the attic when she didn't know what could be up there. I put my foot on the bottom step a creak with my weight. I took a few more stairs and gently shut the door behind, to cover my tracks. I climbed the stairs, as the air was cool from the last few brushes or winter air. The Attic was large and help many antiques why would anyone leave their precious things here. In the corner stood a tall mirror, gold plating. Dust covered my reflection, I imagine the many faces that once stood in the mirror. I gussied up fixing my hair that was tossed by the wind. I step lightly in fear that the boards were thin, the last thing I wanted was to fall through the floor. Many old trunks with stickers attacked from the many places the trunk as seen. Old dresses and hats filling racks. My favorite was the red one with a nice feather on top. Dust covering thick on the hats, I dusted what I could and wore it. Feeling like a high class lady in the times of the flappers. I giggled to myself I as put back the hat. Most of the things up here look like they belong to the time the house was built. Why is all this stuff still here, I'm sure there has been families since who have seen all of these treasures. There could be a big money to be made. In the corner of my eye I saw a tall bookshelf like everything else covered in dust. I ran my fingers over the old books, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, and Edgar Allen Poe, I even saw a few works by Shakespeare and Walt Whitman. The classics that I couldn't wait to clean up and put toward my own collection. Skimming through the titles marking them inside my brain of the ones I wanted to keep when I stumbled across a black blinding with nothing on it. I slide out letting the dust fly into the air. I cough as some of the dust settled in the back of my throat.

This book was unlike the rest, it was letter and look of wear. I opened to the first page, the paper yellow with age. In beautiful cursive handwriting was the words "The Diary of Adaline McIntire." How neat a diary of someone who lived in this house, I wanted to know so much of someone who shared this very house I wanted to know the secrets I turned to the next page.

April 9, 1921

            Oh diary I'm so happy to call you my own. Daddy brought you to me from his last trip. Spring is coming I can hear the song birds chirping so happy. There's so much to tell you but I'm not going to bore you with all that introductory rubbish. The new house is coming together so lovely, mama is going to have a garden party this summer if her flowers come up well. It feels like I've lived here my own life and its only been a few months. I finally met the neighbor lady that stares through her windows. Just a curious cat like the rest of us. My heart is heavy for Miss Ellie Taylor she never married nor have any babies. Just her in that little ol house. I hope that wont be me someday diary. I did promise her that I'd come by to visit more often. Even though mama says shes got a strange feeling from her. Just an old lady I told her she means no harm just wants some company. Diary I must be going now and soak up the last few hours of the sun. I'll be sure to write to you real soon.

                       With all my love Adaline

The lady in the house peaking through her windows. I wonder if that's the same lady I saw staring at me. It very well could be this journal started 20 years ago. All I  knew is that I wanted to know more. I closed the diary and started down the stairs.