Familial Ties

I was sitting on the couch, my body taking up all the space with my left leg hanging off and my hands behind my head. Kakashi sat at my feet, playing with my toes as he flipped through a magazine with his other hand.

My name is Minati Honiari. I'm 13 years old, and currently living with my adoptive father - Kakashi. As classic adoption cases go, I look nothing like Kakashi. This of course makes me stick out like a sore thumb, genetically having long dark black hair with matching black kitten ears and a long, thin tail... yeah, that also makes me stick out like a sore thumb. 

In the Land of the Mist, I'm known as Minati: the wounded, orphaned, and uncontrollable future monster. Not Minati:  the quiet, careful, and soon to be skilled killer. My Kekkei Genkai was wanted by a lot of people since I was then last of my bloodline... Actually, in general was wanted by a lot of people thanks to having no kin. You'd be surprised how much your value goes up as the last living member of an entire bloodline. 

I am also like Kakashi, for I had the talent of being able to copy jutsus and occasionally someone's Kekkei Genkai, thanks to my own Kekkei Genkai. With some training from Dad, of course. Something was different about me though, something set me apart from anyone else in my bloodline.

 I could turn into Fujinika, the strongest of all Felines. I would grow bigger, my eyes would change color, my canines and claws grew sharper, my tail and ears would grow larger... I just over all changed shape. But, I had to be in Fujinika's form at least halfway to possibly copy a Kekki Genkai. I couldn't always pull it off. At least, that is for now. It's not that my Kekki Genkai even really matter now... I have no formal training and almost crippling anxiety due to being an outcast. Although a rare breed, it doesn't mean the majority of the population accepts me.

Nobody looks at me for me. All they see is a dark, gloomy past riddled with misfortune. I am the embodiment of weakness, topped off with cat ears and a tail. The loss of my family still haunts me, and it is something that changed my course forever.

*** 

I was sitting the windowsill gazing out at the bright stars. Quietly humming, I was stroking my new kitten. Taio, an albino tiger, had brown eyes so warm you'd think they were melted chocolate. They danced in the starlight, I had never seen such a beautiful color. This was probably the best gift my father had ever given me, and it wasn't even my birthday! Living on a piece of land outside of the Land of the Mist, surrounded by nothing but your own kin(most were far older than me), it'd definitely get lonely sometimes. Taio was my father's remedy to this situation.

Listening to Taio's purrs, I was thinking of tomorrow and what little errands my mother or grandmother would put me up to. Maybe kneading bread, maybe I'd go for a walk with my grandmother and listen to another one of her crazy stories. Fighting bad guys, summoning her felines, all the training she had to - 

There was a shadow. It was just for a second, but it was there. It quickly caught my attention and I ducked my head down. Taio was uneasy, I could feel him get a little tense in my arms. It moved so fast I felt like maybe I was just seeing things, the starts were shimmering so bright that they made the trees almost dance. That's all I was seeing, just leaves shaking in the shadows. Right?

It went from bush to bush, spot to spot. It would only appear for a couple of seconds, long enough to tell me I was not just seeing things. At first it was just an uneasy feeling, but once I felt Taio's claws come out and his hissing kick up a notch I could tell this was not good. Somehow I swallowed down the lump in my throat that had quickly formed. I turned my head just enough so I could see out of the corner of my eye. As if time was nothing, the figure appeared in my bedroom. It moved quickly, the darkness of night masking its travels. It happened in a whirlwind, one second I was carefully tracing its steps outside to suddenly being right next to me and I could feel the wind from its quickly moving body. Slowly it inched over to me, making the thin fine hairs on my neck and arms stand on end. I stifled a whimper and could tell my hands were sweating. It was like some kind of horror scene and I didn't know whether I should scream or cry. The closer it got, the more I could make out his features.