20. Cassie

I was underwater. There was nothing, no fish, no plants, nothing but the endless abyss that is the ocean. I wasn't scared like I should have been. In fact, I didn't feel anything at all. I was at peace, and I loved it. Who would have thought drowning could be so serene?

Something not so serene was the sound of a car horn repeatedly going off outside. There are no cars in the ocean, Cassie. I opened my eyes slowly, brows furrowed because I did not want to wake up from that dream. The nothingness of it all, the simplicity; I wanted to stay there forever. I picked up my phone to see seven missed calls and eight texts from Calum, two calls and four texts from Luke. Time: 7:36. I yelped, running around my room and quickly dialing Calum's number.

"I'll be right out!" I shouted into the phone before he got to say anything. I hung up while dressing in jeans and a white long sleeve shirt and brushing my teeth furiously. I couldn't believe I had overslept after skipping. I brushed my dark hair quickly, and slipped on my shoes, grabbing my bag and phone and bolting down the stairs. I ran outside and slipped into the back seat, out of breath. 7:41, not bad. Calum immediately pulled out of my driveway.

"Overslept?" Luke laughed.

"Yes," I huffed, running my fingers through my hair.

And then there was silence between us, and it was so awkward I considered jumping out of the moving vehicle. Calum had some album he liked playing softly throughout the car, and when we arrived at school, I just thanked him and left. It seemed weird to wait for him like I usually did.

"Cass!" Luke's voice called from behind me and I whipped around.

"We've got like seven minutes to make it to class, and I'm on the other side of the school, Lucas," I playfully scolded him and he smiled. He subtly looked at my left wrist, but not subtle enough because I noticed and my breath caught in my throat.

He glanced around and then sighed.

"I know, Cassie."

"Huh?"

"Michael told me." He said he wouldn't! "He didn't tell Calum, but he asked me and Ashton what to do. And honestly, I'm not sure either. When you came over the other night, it scared us all."

"Five minutes, Luke," I pleaded. "I don't know what you're talking about." Although I did, and I was beyond relieved he hadn't told Calum.

"Cassie I really-" He began but I cut him off.

"Four minutes!" I ran inside the school, towards my first class of the day. Luke kept texting me.

I know you know what I was talking about

Maybe I do. Who cares? It's okay Luke

Stop saying it's okay

I mentally groaned on my way to class, and being so focused on my phone, I banged shoulders with someone. Looking up, I was met with green eyes. Green eyes I was horrified of, but that I was also quiet fond of just last week.

"Cassie," Parker hissed, grabbing me tightly. I winced and let out a loud sigh. He began dragging me behind him no matter how many times I said stop. The halls were beginning to clear when we finally made it outside. I managed to rip to my wrist from his grip and stop where I was standing, folding my arms over my chest. I knew part of me wanted this conversation. I wanted to figure out where we stood, and maybe even make things work. I had spent the past few months entirely involved and consumed in Parker and I wasn't ready to let go of it. I loved Calum, surely, but with someone like him there came this terrible fear of losing him. I was too scared of it. Someone like Parker was just what I needed, but I couldn't let him know that I was actually considering us staying together. He raped me and hurt me and people kept staring at me, probably wondering why I was all bruised up. Since I had woken up late, I had no time to put on makeup. Parker faced me, and just stood there silently for about a minute. He took a step closer to me, holding my face and brushing his thumbs lightly over my cheeks.