5. Cassie

I fiddled with my thumbs, the wind whipping my dark hair into my face violently as I brushed it back repeatedly. It was lunch period on Friday, and we decided to sit outside when I felt like I was suffocating under the observation of my peers.

"Are you kidding? Why didn't you tell us sooner?" Calum groaned when I told him about the party tonight. We had been texting all night and I got close to mentioning it a few times, but I never actually got to it.

"I tried," I rolled my eyes, not exactly lying.

"Bullshit," he gave me a scoff.

"You guys, I'm just trying to make friends."

"Fine, we don't want to keep you from that." Luke interjected, shooting a look at Calum.

I smiled at the two gratefully, jumping into conversation about their band.

"I want to meet Ashton and Michael!"

"You can come watch practice sometime," Luke offered. I grinned and nodded, eager to hear them actually play. Calum's expression softened and he smiled at me. "We should probably get to class," Luke checked his phone for the time. "I'm on the other side of the school," he sighed, standing up and brushing himself off. "I'll see you guys later!" The blond scurried off and we stood up as well, gathering our belongings.

"I just don't want you to get hurt, okay?" Calum said softly as we made our way inside.

"I know Cal," I smiled at him warmly. How much he cared was honestly sweet, and I appreciated it but I didn't want him to continue smothering me or feeling the need to look out for me so much. "I'll be fine and I'll text you when I get home. See ya," I gave his arm a squeeze and headed for class.

***

It was eight-thirty and I sat on the sofa, flicking through channels on the television waiting for Parker to arrive. I told Mrs. Wilson I'd be going out tonight, and I had let my mom know the night before. My mom would be home later tonight, but my dad had to work tonight.

When the doorbell finally rang, I adjusted the bracelets on my wrist, pulled my denim shorts down and fiddled with the hem of my loose white tank top. I opened the door and Parker grinned.

"You look great."

I quietly thanked him and closed the door behind myself, making sure it was locked as he lead me to his car. I slipped my phone into my back pocket as he opened the door for me, letting me slide in before shutting it again. He made his way to the drivers side and I smirked.

"Such a gentleman."

"I try," he let out a light laugh. I ran my fingers through my hair and bit my lip, quite nervous for this party.

"I don't really know anyone," I watched the houses pass by through the window and I saw him turn to me quickly in the reflection.

"Just stay by me, babe. You'll be fine. Everyone knows you."

"What?" I looked away from the glass and at him. He was something straight out of a magazine, his light brown hair tousled and his jawline defined. He was gorgeous and I was finding it really hard not to pay attention to that fact.

"They all know me, so they all know you. I told people about you," he smiled sheepishly. My mouth formed an 'o' shape before I smiled a bit, realizing that he talked about me to his friends. Unsure of whether it was bad or good, I'd like to believe it was the latter.

After about a fifteen minute drive, we arrived at a large house, cars parked all along the street and music blaring from the inside. The party was in full swing by the time we got inside, and we were approached by a tan, tall blond who I assumed was the host.

"Parker!" He greeted, pulling him in for one of their man hugs.

"Hey man, this is Cassie," he had an arm around my waist and held me close.

"You're even prettier than he's mentioned," the blond winked at me. "I'm Dan. Enjoy yourselves!" He directed the last part towards both of us and stalked off to talk to some girls.

"You told him I was pretty?" I teased Parker as we made our way to the kitchen to get a drink.

"Gorgeous, actually." He winked and handed me a can of beer he had just opened. After taking a sip and almost gagging at the taste, I scrunched my nose and stuck out my tongue. "Not much of a drinker, eh?" He chuckled at my obvious distaste for the drink, opening a can for himself.

"Not really. I mean, wine at Christmas but I've never been fully drunk. Just enough to feel a bit of a buzz," I informed him and took a large gulp of the liquid. I needed this to calm my nerves and actually enjoy myself.

"It's nothing too special, just helps you forget stuff," Parker shrugged his shoulders as he put the can to his lips. I downed my drink quickly and he handed me another. "Take it easy, tiger. Don't drink this one so fast!" He chuckled. I shrugged and tried to drink slowly, but wasn't having much luck. Add drinking excessively to my list of things I do when I'm nervous. I couldn't keep the can away from my lips, and finished it soon during conversation with Parker. My stomach was warm and I perked up, taking in my surroundings and actually wanting something other than to sulk in a corner away from everyone. I decided to send a quick text to Calum.

'Party isn't too bad cal. Talk later?'

"Let me introduce you to some people, yeah?" He led me through the crowd after I had another can of beer in my hands. I spotted blond hair, Samantha's head bobbing along to the music as she talked to a small group of people. We approached and she greeted me with a hug and a shout of my name over the music.

Everything from there sort of blurred together. I caught the names of these strangers, but it seemed like things would go in one ear and out the other. I was stuck in a permanent fit of giggles, and I seemed to be entertaining the people around me as I continued to drink more and more. Parker led me into the backyard, the cool air a nice change from the inside, where he lit a cigarette and held it between his lips. The smell of beer was strong between the two of us, and I was sure he had more to drink than I did. He smoked that cigarette quickly, offering it to me once but I shook my head. I hated the smell.

I stood up, almost falling over, and began giggling. I stood in front of where Parker leaned against the side of the house. His eyes trailed slowly along my body, his eyes a darker shade of green. I didn't know what had gotten into me as I leaned into this boy that I had been advised against and kissed him slowly. He pulled me closer to him immediately, and my hands made their way around his neck. His hands landed on my lower back, lower than I would've been okay with otherwise, but I allowed it. His kisses were rough and rushed, our tongues fighting for dominance as he pulled away and stared at me.

"Let's go inside."

He took my hand and led me inside and up the stairs. He was quick and I didn't protest which was stupid of me. So so stupid. He pushed the door open to an empty room after finding most were occupied, and he roughly pushed me in and locked it shut. His hands were all over me again in seconds. His kisses were as rough as before and he pushed me down on the bed. His lips were on my neck, kissing and sucking and I let out a moan.

I knew where this was going. It was happening too quickly. His hands moved to the button on my shorts, and I pushed it away.

"No, Parker."

Calum was right. Parker was bad news. I may have been drunk, but I knew my limits. I tried sitting up and he pushed me back down roughly.

"It'll feel good, I promise."

"Parker, I said no!" I struggled to move but he used one hand to hold my arms above my head, the weight of his body on me too much to fight with. He began slipping my shorts off, his lips attached to my neck and tears pricking my eyes. We heard the sound of a cell phone. He tilted his head at me as I wiggled around under him, causing him to let go of my hands quickly, allowing me to pull my phone out of my pocket.

Calum.

Thank goodness.

"It's my mom." I lied and he craned his neck to see the text.

'Glad it's fun. Make sure to text me when you get home'

I decided to call him, the only way I could think of stalling Parker.

"Hello? Cass?" His voice rang out among others I heard shouting in the back. The noise faded. "Sorry, I left the room. Are you home?" I could imagine him chewing on the inside of his cheek, his free hand fiddling with something.

"Oh you want me home? Well, do you think you could pick me up?"

"Huh?"

"Yeah, I'm a little drunk but can you come pick me up? I'll wait outside."

"Um, yeah sure Cass. I'll come pick you up."

"Oh! You're nearby? Sure, I'll head out now."

I glanced at Parker to find him looking absolutely baffled as I fixed my shorts and shot him a sour look.

"Don't expect a call from me, you bastard," I said away from the receiver and ran out the door as soon as I unlocked it. I bounded down the stairs and pushed through the sweaty teens, earning some dirty looks but I couldn't care less. I wanted to get out of there. I ran outside and the cool air hit my bare skin once again.

"Cassie?" Calum was shouting from the other line, worry clear in his voice.

"Hi Cal. Pick me up, please? I'm freezing." I heard sighing from his end.

"I'm on the way."

Goosebumps covered my entire body as the breeze blew by. It wasn't too cold, but it was definitely too chilly for a tank top and shorts. Every time a car passed by, I squinted in the dark, hoping to find Calum in the drivers seat. Three cars passed and none of them were him. Finally, his dark hair came into view and I ran across the yard to meet him. He stepped out of the car and I wrapped my arms around him tightly; tears I didn't realize I was holding in came pouring out. Caught by surprise, it took him a few seconds to mirror my actions but I felt his arms find their way around me, embracing me in his warmth.

"Oh Cassandra, I told you to be careful," he whispered softly. The music was loud in the background and the muffled sound of drunken conversation flooded from the house onto the street, but the only sound I could focus on was the sound of his heartbeat.

a/n sorry it took forever! schools starting up blah. hope you like it :) I'm publishing this from my iPod so I hope the formatting is okay!