3. Cassie

My first class of the day went by easily, and I remained invisible. ‘Told you you were overreacting,’ the little voice in my head rang. By third period, English, my apprehension about today had disappeared. I sat in the same seat as yesterday, last row, farthest to right. I traced the desk with my eyes; initials of lovers and little doodles scattered along the surface. I found myself mindlessly hoping that the people who had etched their initials into the wood were still together.

“Hey Cassie!” A voice chimed from beside me and I brought my eyes up to meet the dark haired boy from yesterday, although a grey beanie covered his head now. My name sounded almost refreshing coming from him since I had only been addressed to as Cassandra these past couple of weeks, with the exception of my telling teachers that Cassie was my preferred name. His name wasn’t hard to remember since he was the only person I had really acquainted myself with here.

“Hey Calum.” I gave him a small smile as he slipped into the desk beside me.

“You don’t mind if I sit here, right?” He gave me a crooked grin and I shook my head no. “You’re a quiet one,” he pointed out, pulling his English notebook out.

“Sorry,” I replied quickly.

“You don’t have to be,” he assured me and I wanted to smile at the comfort I felt with him, but I didn’t.

“Right…Sorry.” I bit my lip, actually feeling sorry this time. Was I coming off as unfriendly? I didn’t want people thinking I was a bitch. He let out a little laugh.

“How has your morning been?” He projected such warmth that I couldn’t help but smile at the kind boy beside me.

“It’s been alright, and you?”

“Fine, but I was late!” He began telling me the story of how his pancakes burned that morning, and was just finishing up when our teacher entered. As she addressed the class, we turned our attention forward. Calum was quite friendly, and could probably have a stimulating conversation with a rock. A hint of a smile crept onto my lips at the thought, but I realized how silly I seemed and began biting my lip once again. Biting my lips was something I had been doing for as long as I could remember, and it was something I couldn’t help.

“Is something funny?” He whispered to me with a small smirk.

“I just thought of a funny joke.” I lied quickly.

“Care to share?” He raised an eyebrow at me.

“Maybe later,” I smiled again. He returned his attention to the front of the room, where our teacher was taking hands to discuss parts of the book the class was reading. I was behind since I had just started this class, and I had so much to work to do. I began stressing out, and slumped back in my seat, organizing my afternoon in my head.

“Hello? Cass?” I jumped at the tanned hand on my shoulder, causing Calum to pull it away quickly. I looked around to see people packing up their belongings.

“Sorry!” We both spoke at the same time. I felt myself blushing and began putting my notebook away.

“Did you hear me?” He laughed lightly.

“No, sorry…” I bit my lip and he shook his head.

“Stop apologizing for everything! I was just asking if you were going to lunch?” The last few lingering students made their way out and we were left alone in the classroom.

“That depends, are you gonna spill food on me again?” I teased him as we began walking to the doorway.

“Let’s see how I’m feeling,” he grinned cheekily, opening the door for me. “After you.”

“What a gentleman.” I winked at him and he followed me out into the hall.

“So Cassie, will I be lucky enough to have the honor of you gracing us with your presence at lunch today?”

“I suppose I could join you,” I nodded in amusement, following him to the cafeteria. I had remembered where most of my classes were, thankfully, and it wouldn’t hurt to have Calum around if I ever needed assistance. We found ourselves at a table near the one I was sitting at yesterday, and the blond boy from yesterday's incident sat down across from us, placing his tray on the table, groaning.

“I swear to God, I am this fucking close to sewing Andrea’s lips shut myself.” He looked up and met my eyes, a look of surprise crossing his features. “Hello.” He nodded politely, clearing his throat and looking at Calum. “You’re that girl from yesterday, yeah?” He smiled a bit. I nodded, returning the smile.

“Cassie, this is Luke. Luke, this is Cassie.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” I told him, a smile still playing along my lips.

“The pleasure is all mine,” he grinned at me.

We made small talk and I found out the two were in a band with two other, older, boys. Luke played guitar and was their lead singer, and Calum also sang, but he was their bassist. They talked about it animatedly, their passion clear in their voices. I smiled and let them do most of the talking, since I never had much to say about myself. I felt so comfortable with the two, and they were so sweet, allowing me to intrude on their lunch table.

“Why the hell has Parker been staring over here for the past fifteen minutes?” Luke lowered his voice, annoyance clear in his tone.

“Who’s that?” I picked at my nails.

“Just an asshole,” Calum grumbled. I looked up at him as he was drinking from his water bottle. He had very nice cheekbones, I noticed. The longer I eyed him, the more I realized how attractive he really was. He had dark features that made him stand out a bit, and his eyes were such a warm and welcoming dark brown. The way he smiled could make you melt, and his voice was a soothing sound to listen to. “See something you like?” He teased, noticing my quite obvious staring. I blushed and stuck my tongue out at him. He grinned and Luke laughed, and I felt very at ease with the two boys.

“Fuck, man!” Luke hissed. “He’s coming over here!”

“Wait but what did he-” I was cut off by a new voice, coming from my right.

“Excuse me? Are you new?” I turned to find a boy with light brown hair and beautiful green eyes. He flashed a perfect smile and I nearly passed out.

“Um… Y-yeah. I am.” I forced myself to nod a bit and smile, trying to prevent any of the boys from realizing how flustered I was.

“What’s your name, babe?”

“Cassie.” I felt a little more confident. He flashed another smile.

“I’ll see you around, Cassie. If you need anything, you come find me, alright?” His presence disappeared from my side as he returned to his table. I turned back to Luke and Calum who seemed annoyed.

“He seems nice enough. Is that Parker?”

“Only because he’s trying to get your pants,” Calum scoffed. I frowned. “Sorry.” He looked up at me, pouting. “He’s just kind of mean.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I nodded slightly.

“Be careful?” Luke asked me as we began packing up and getting ready to head to our next classes.

“Sure.” I smiled at the two boys before me, unaware of how desperate I would be to return to this moment and actually listen. But as much as I wish I could turn back time, I can’t.