№ 33. Daylight

It took some getting used to, waking up and walking around in an empty apartment everyday. Even though Chelsea and I had been on a sour note before she left, there was a sense of comfort knowing that she would still be here. Now it was just me and some bare walls. Mom and Brett flew off to Croatia for their honeymoon, God knows why they chose Croatia.

I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow for LA,  but somehow it didn't feel right packing away all of my things, it was too hard. It seems I had come with so little and was leaving with so much, all the boxes in the world couldn't suffice. Nonetheless, I tried. All that was left was my desk, my bed, and a picture frame that sat atop my dresser. I wasn't going to bring it and no matter what, I was going to erase him.

There was no harm in protecting oneself, a philosophy I enjoyed. It kept me from becoming addicted to ice cream and crying at dog shelter commercials. Everything was just... politely ignored. That's a nice way of putting it. So I slumped against the couch once everything was stored, and looked around for a little while.

It had all passed by so quickly, I was already feeling sentimental. But I needed this, just as much as I needed to leave it behind. Being here healed me, and leaving here would change me - for the better hopefully. My exams had finished well, and at least I could leave with some pride. All in all, London had been good to me. I was just too dumb to notice until now.

That's the way it is with everything though,  you appreciate it once you know it won't be around anymore. I hate that, and I hate the fact that I over analyze everything. But yet again, that's just plain ol' shitty me. And you know what, I like plain ol' shitty me. It was the me that George fell in love, so there must be something great there. Speaking of which, danishes.

I couldn't leave without the delicious little buggers, they had been so rudely taken from me once before. So I heaved myself off the couch and out the door, deciding to take the stairs for once on the whim that I should start looking after my health. Probably just because I would feel guilty for stuffing my face a few minutes later.

I eventually made my way and ended up inside that quaint little store. The cashier gave me a judgemental look as I emptied the bakery baskets of all their danishes. But I just crammed in a couple right in front of her, munching happily. I cradled the paper bag against my chest as I shouldered open the front door and walked back outside. Beautiful and sunny, of course the weather would cooperate when I was supposed to leave.

I continued towards the bridge,  plucking another buttery pastry from the bag. Heaven, and a crapload of other bad stuff mixed in. Just don't think about it. I slowed my pace though, as up ahead a chocolate haired boy stood in blue converse with red laces, staring down into the rushing waters of the river below. I contemplated running, but then again I'm way too clumsy and all of my danishes would spill. I would protect them with my life.

So I walked toward him, letting my mind go blank as I finally stood beside him. A pleasant breeze skimmed by, rustling George's curls.

"Cassidy. 19. Straight. Dog and Cat lover. Plus I like goldfish."

George glanced up, a confused expression on his handsome face.

"Cats? Seriously?"

I shrugged, "I'm allergic though."

"You need to reconsider your priorities in life."

I nodded, chewing an apricot flavored pastry, "I've been getting that a lot lately."

"Oh?" George leans on his side.

"Turns out - I'm terrible with relationships."

George mock scoffs, "You're joking?"