№ 18. Road Trip

"Honey! I have spectacular news!"

I placed the phone on my desk, punching a button to put my mother's voice on speaker. I had been trying to quiet her for the longest time and now she was echoing in my room.

"What is it?" I sighed as I gave up and wedged a pencil in between two pages of my textbook, closing it impatiently.

"Well, if you're not interested, then I don't think I'll share my fantastic news with you."

"Jesus Christ mom! Just tell-" I paused, taking a deep breath, "Okay, I'm sorry. What's the fantastic news?"

"Brett and I are getting married!"

Silence.

"Cassidy?"

More silence.

"Cassidy! Please, give me some sort of reaction sweetie."

I had been sitting, staring at my cellphone, baffled by what she had just said.  My mother, the woman that couldn't boil an egg to save her life and Brett, the steroid-inflated gym freak. Sharing a life. Sharing my house.

"Married."

"Yes, isn't it wonderful?"

"Is that rhetorical?"

"Cassidy, just be happy for me."

I sighed, getting up from my chair as I went over to my bed.

"You've only been dating for nine months." 

"And it only took me that long to know that he was the one."

"That's what you said about the last three boyfriends."

"But Brett isn't just another boyfriend."

I brushed the hair away from my eyes and started to braid it.

"You're sure?"

"Cassidy, I wouldn't just say yes to anyone who flashed a diamond ring in my face."

I smirked at her comment as the past painted a picture contrary to her claim, "Well then how do you know?" 

"Because he really loves me. And he loves you too. Brett wants to make me happy, and he does. He see me for who I am and cares for me completely."

I stopped braiding as Mom's words sunk in.

"Cass?"

"All I want is for you to be happy mom."

I could hear her sigh contently, "That means a lot Cass. Thank you."

I tried to smile and got up from the bed energetically, "So when's the date for your big swoiree."

"Well that's just what we're planning. We're thinking this May."

I froze midstep, "But that's in two months."

"I know we're just so excited! We don't want to wait a whole year so we thought this May would be perfect."

"Yeah that's great, but I'll still be in school."

I took a pillow and punched it, the feathery fabric puffing out and then sagging with an exhausted sigh beneath my fist.

Suddenly Brett's voice entered the conversation, "Which is why we're coming to you squirt!"

I scrunched my nose up in frustration at both his annoying nickname, and their blatant disregard for anyone else but themselves.

"You want to have your wedding in England?"

"Yeah kickin' it British," Brett drew out.

This wasn't happening. And then, a thought popped into my head.