Chapter 20

_______________

     Chapter 20    

________________

Walter was lying in a white hospital bed with various bandages on his face and arms. The thin blanket was only covering half of his body revealing the top of his torso.

I was shocked at the amount of wires connected to machines around him.

You could see his chest rising and falling with each breath he took through his tracheal tube, it made my face drop.

It had been two weeks since he got stabbed, shouldn’t he had been better?

“Sarah!” I called out, “Sarah, come here.”

In a flash the door opened with a wide eyed Sarah. “What? Is he dead?”

“Thank God no! You understand this stuff, and you’re writing is probably worse then theirs.” I clarified pointing to his file that hung over the bed.

“Oh…Ha-ha.” She said sarcastically before slowly walking up to the folder to read what it said.

I watched as she scrunched her face up and bit her nail. Her eyes quickly scanned the pages flipping through each one before she put the folder back where it was.

“Well?” I asked curiously.

She took a deep breath before explaining what the doctors had written. “He got stabbed in the left kidney, they had to tie off the arteries and veins to it and remove it. Their keeping him unconscious so his body can recover faster. They also had to do a blood transplant because he lost a lot of blood which I’m assuming is why they aren’t letting him leave this room.”

“Is that all it said Sarah?”

“The cut on his neck was really close to an artery, he almost died.”

“But he’ll be ok right?” I asked about to cry.

“I don’t know.” She shrugged pulling me into a hug, “I hope he will.”

“What about how he only has one liver?”

“People can live with just one liver, from what I know they do get sick and won’t live as long. But, it writes that he is in line for a transplant.”

“How long will that take?”

“I’m not a doctor yet, Elle.”

“Guess!”

“A while, maybe a few years… It said his liver works fine so he isn’t first priority for a transplant until there are problems with the one he has now. My guess is maybe two years at the very least.”

“He’ll be fine until then right?”

“I don’t know Elle, like I said, I’m going off from what I read, plus I’ve only done two years in university, I don’t know that much about it.”

I nodded slowly as I rested my head on her shoulder, hoping that he’d be fine.

After all, he was only in this position because of me.

“Come on, we need to go. We’ve been here for too long and they’ll get suspicious.”

I nodded slowly and followed Sarah out, sparing one last glance at Walter before leaving.