Chapter 3

The next day, Temari, Tomoe, Naruto, Kankuro, and Gaara all made their way to Honiji's house at a time Tomoe knew she would be off work. She lived in simple house with her mother and was very surprised to see everyone there, but none-the-less invited everyone in. She worked on a small hand sewing project while they explained the nature of their visit. By the end of the explanation, Honiji sat stalk still, grey eyes wide and hand hovering in mid stitch.

She slowly put the project on the table and pressed the heel of her hand to her eye. "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" Honiji's mother nodded behind her, facial expression matching that of her daughters.

"You heard me." Tomoe teased.

"Oh I'm not so sure I did. Because it sounded like you just said you want me to marry Gaara."

"Not right away of course." Temari clarified. "When you guys are ready."

Honiji slowly nodded, face still showing she was trying to comprehend exactly what the hell was going on. "Uh-huh... uhhh... m-mom? Can you bring me a glass of water please?" Her mother scurried around the counter to get the water and gently placed it on the table before taking her place behind her daughter once more. She drank the water down quickly and took a deep breath. "Alright. Can you explain this one more time?"

"With Naruto's position being so new the elder's of Suna are doubting the alliances strength." Tomoe started. "Because of that we need a sure fire way to prove the alliance between our villages is strong. So I suggested an arranged marriage!"

"Okay, I got that part."

"Gaara was against it at first." Temari continued. "But after some pursuading we were able to reach the agreement that he meet and talk to and choose directly who should even be considered for the arrangment. After fifteen dates, you are the only one he chose."

"And I'm eligable for this arrangment... how?"

"You're King Ichiharu's daughter." Naruto stated.

"I'm a bastard child!"

"Honiji!" Her mother scolded.

She lightly poped her own mouth. "Sorry. But it's true. I'm his child, but I'm not claimed. With my background no elder will accept mine and Gaara's union, so how am I eligable?"

Finally Gaara interjected. "The opinions of the elders can be swayed should the candidate exude a proper and caring demeanor and show that she is capable of caring for and standing by the Kazekage in times of need. After meeting all eligable persons, you are the only one who even remotly resembled a proper candidate." That and she wasn't  total stuck up bitch. But he couldn't say that.

Honiji's face was dusted with a sheen of pink and she looked down. Her mother, however, spoke on her own worries. "My daughter still has another whole year of school left. How is she supposed to do well in her studies if she's worrying about her standing with the elders and planning a wedding?"

"That's the glorious part my sweet Shizuka." Tomoe grinned. "The arrangment doesn't have to be done right away. The grace period would only have to be two weeks long and in that time she can easily shadow at a high school in Suna. In fact it would look great on her applications. Suna is known for their great academics. And if they decide to continue with the arrangment she can just transfer and then they don't even have to start planning until she's out of school. That way they both can adjust and she can focus on her work."

"I still don't know if I'm okay with this. Honiji is only seventeen."

"Shizuka." Tomoe continued to sooth the mother down while Honiji sat in her spot and seemed to daze off, eyes trained on the fabric of her hand-sewing project. Gaara watched her for a moment, watched the process in her grey eyes. There was no doubt she was think of reasons why she shouldn't, and she agreed with her mother a bit. Honiji was young. Only one year older than the legal marriage age. There were many things she wanted to do with her life still, like finish school and start an aprentenship with a seamstress, open her own clothing shop and make something of herself. But how did she know that Gaara wouldn't tell her she couldn't do those things if they got married?

But as soon as she thought it, she wanted to slap herself. After yesterday, Honiji knew that Gaara wasn't the kind to be overbearing and cruel. He seemed to be a nice guy. Quite, a little reserved, but nice. And there was a high school in Suna that she had dreamed of attending but knew her mother would never allow her to attend without reason. Looking up, Honiji caught Gaara's gaze and felt her face begin to heat up again. Maybe...

"Alright." Honiji's single word brought all conversation to a hault. Tomoe and Honiji's mother stopped and turned in alarm while Temari, Naruto and Kankuro stared wide eyed at the girl before them. Gaara was placid however. "Alright. I'll agree the grace period. On the condition that I have power to end it if I so disire."

"Done!" Tomoe gushed, face alight with joy.

Her mother gently touched her shoulder. "Are you sure about this dear?"

"Giving it a chance won't hurt... Besides..." She looked to her mother's worried face, the aged version of her own. "Maybe this will... help me move on." Her mothers face only seemed to grow more worried at the mention of 'that' event and even Tomoe seemed to flinch, Naruto actually doing so. But no one wanted to question it, feeling the tense atmosphere.

Finally, her mother nodded. "Alright."

After a short discussion it was decided that they would all leave the next day around noon, giving Honiji time to fill out the paperwork needed for her shadowing in Suna and to explain the situation to her boss at the library. She walked them to the door and said good bye, watching her friends walk away with a strange amount of joy in them. But Gaara fell back and stayed with Honiji for a just a moment.

"Thank you." He said.

But she shook her head. "Don't thank me. We don't know how this is going to work yet."

"You are still giving it a chance, opening the possibilities for a stronger alliance between our villages."

"Please, Gaara." She looked up at him, a twinkle of sadness in her eyes. "I'm doing this for a very selfish reason. I don't deserve any thanks." With that between them, she turned and reterned inside, leaving Gaara to think and ponder her words. He wouldn't realize the truth behind those words until the next time he stood upon the bridge with his dear Honiji.