Chapter 18

Gaara had told Honiji to go to the festival with her friends. He would catch up later after finishing some work. The festival grounds was done up with beautiful light blue and pink and a white accent. Flowers decorated everything and the lights of the lanterns had been dimmed to allow for more of the natural star light to shine through. Kaita was waiting patiently for everyone to arrive at the entrance to the grounds.

She had been half listening to the music inside when Honiji made her appearance. She could tell instantly that the elder session had not gone well. There was darkness in her eyes. More than was usual. But in her own special way, she was trying to hide it with her soft smile. Kaita knew better than to bring it up. "Hey, no boys yet."

"It feels strange being the first person."

"It won't take long." Kaita looked down at her watch, and when she looked up again, who should she see coming down the road but Kenchi and Paku in what appeared to be yet another argument. How are they even considered friends? "And this argument is on...?"

"I do not look like a Rastafarian banana!" Paku screamed.

"And I don't look like ice king!" Kenchi shot back. "Facial hair is just weird, especially his."

"That's the part that got you?!"

Honiji tried to hold back her laughter, opting to turn around and bite her finger for a second until it had passed. Everyday was a new trip with these strange friends. Already she felt like the stress for the days earlier events was being blown out to sea. Or sand? Honiji had also began to realize that a lot of her old metaphors and idioms from home wouldn't exactly work here.

In any case, the four friends finally journeyed into the festival. All the smells from the food stands were very interesting to Honiji. A lot things she was able to recognize. Chocolate bananas, shaved ice, dango, takoyaki. But there were a few things she didn't recognize... and didn't want to know what they were either. One item looked like some kind of tongue... And she understood though too... that if someone from here went to a festival in Konoha and saw the roasted newt, they might have the same reaction. But roasted newt happened to be Honiji's favorite.

Each of them got something to eat and they sat to enjoy it. Kenchi made a face when he saw Honiji put mustard on her takoyaki. "How can you eat that?"

"I could ask you the same question." She shot back, bringing attention to the odd glob of something in his cup.

"That's because you've never had it!" He put a bite in front of her.

"Neither have you!" She held out her takoyaki for him to try. 

"You guys can't spit it out. On three..." Paku did the count down, and when both of them took their bites, it was almost instantly obvious how gross they thougt the others food was. But they persisted, finally swallowing. "This is going on Facebook." He said, showing them the picture he took of their faces. Even Kaita let out a snort. From there, the group made their way through the game stalls. Not a lot of people were around, which was good for Honiji, but she had drugged up before leaving. Actually she had taken medicine before going to see the elders too.

God bless anxiety medication.

The boys had decided to play the ball toss game. Kaita let out a sigh of great distain when Paku declared rather loudly that he would win her the largest stuffed toy they had. Honiji giggled lightly. Especially when he missed all three times. Kenchi had better luck though, and was able to win a small prize. The prize he picked? A lavender colored fan that he turned around immediately to give to Honiji. She accepted it happily, eyes shinning with delight.

Paku was too upset with the game to notice... but Kaita had her eye on them the whole time. Honiji is an innocent soul, her darkness and past experience has not changed that in the least. She saw it has a sweet gift from her friend. But Kaita could see the meaning in Kenchi's gaze. She hadn't realized it until then. Kenchi is in love with Honiji.