Chapter 19

This revelation should not have come to a surprise to Kaita, but at the same time, she never thought the day would come when big and tough Kenchi would actually let someone into his heart. It is unfortunate that that person just so happened to be a maybe engaged teenage not-so-princess princess from another country with a dark and secret past. And that was the moment Kaita decided to get a margarita...

Tomoe had asked her to keep the girls past a secret until the time she found it in her to tell people what happened. But it was hard. She felt that this was some critical stuff. But then... another thought crossed her mind. Honiji didn't grow up in Suna. She very recently met Gaara. It just struck her that she possibly, more than likely, didn't know about Gaara's unfortunate past. That would have to be a question she needed to ask when the kind leader finally made his appearance.

Good God, she could only imagine the possible reactions from both ends of that conversation. She made her way up to the stand near-by, slapping a bill on the counter. "Alcohol."

"Yes ma'am." The worker answered, not finding it necessary to question her further.

"You seem stressed pretty lady." She turned to find Paku smiling gently at her.

Kaita let out a sigh as she took her drink and leaned against the counter, Paku next to her, watching the other two continue to play the game. Kenchi was doing well at teaching Honiji how to play. "Paku... have you ever known a secret about someone that you desperately wanted to tell someone, just to make it a little lighter on your own heart?"

He watched her from the corner of his eye. "It must be some secret. Usually nothing gets to you." She lowered her head a little and took a sip of her drink. "But, yes. But those secrets are not ours to tell. And we think letting someone else in on them will help us. But then the same thins happen to them. Until suddenly, everyone knows a secret that wasn't yours." He eyes narrowed slightly, face darkening as he watched his two friends smile and laugh. "Their ability to deal with that secret and come out on their own is stolen from them. They have to be able to come up with the courage themselves. Or..."

Kaita watched him, surprised by serious he was getting. His face was quick to change though as he smiled at her. "Hey, you should donate some of that drink to the thirsty student foundation."

She snorted and quickly made her way to the other two. "Lets move on guys."

"Okay!" Honiji was happy to see what else there was. But a large group of people moving in the opposite direction immediately made her nervous, and she began to curl into Kaita's side. She grabbed her arm and guided her through, knowing she just needed the security. Once the crowd had thinned, she let go. They had finally come up on the last of the attractions at the festival. The live music and dance floor.

The music was fast and fun, few people there at the time since it was starting to get late. Honiji listened with a smile on her face and a bounce in her step. Paku glanced down and saw, a shit eating grin spreading across his face. He grabbed Her hands and pulled her out on the dance floor, twirling her and pulling her in and out in a  fun and friendly dance. She had the most pure and joyful expression. Kaita was almost surprised by her, wondering if it was the same girl.

Kenchi, looking annoyed, mumbled something about food and left. Kaita watched in wonder as the two danced and laughed, finally feeling a familiar presence behind her. "Done with work?" She asked before taking another sip.

"How has she been?" Gaara asked, coming up to stand next to her. He, too, was amazed at her expression as she twirled on the dance floor.

"No problems. Actually, she's been amazingly calm and happy. I was expecting her stress and anxiety to be full force."

Gaara nodded. He was worried leaving her, but now realized he had worried in vain. The music began to slow down and the two came off the floor laughing. Honiji, noticing Gaara, began to run over. "Gaara! Kenchi won me a fan!" She exclaimed, excitedly showing him her prize. He didn't think anything of it, smiling at her innocent joy. Honiji gently wrapped her arms around him, nuzzling his shoulder.

Gaara was pleasantly surprised with the sudden affection. He found himself returning the hug, and also taking that opportunity to run his fingers through her soft, sun light hair. She pulled back, her cheeks red and gaze low. "You had fun?" He asked gently.

Honiji nodded, swaying to the light music, still in dance mode. Gaara felt... he wanted to do something new... for her. Kaita's eyebrows shot up when he gently lead Honiji on the floor and started a slow, slightly awkward dance. But... they looked so happy. A chill went up her spine and she just knew Kenchi had returned. Next to her, he watched the young maybe couple with red tinted eyes.

Kaita watched him from the corner of her eye. "You should know, hating Gaara is not going to make her come to you. You were doomed from the start." She took a sip of her drink.

"Honiji is not the reason I hate him." Was all he said before turning to leave once again. Kaita shook her head in dismay. Some will never forget she guessed. But for Honiji's sake, she hoped he could try. She watched the couple, Paku swaying lightly next to her. Honiji laughed as she did a slow, step-by-step spin under Gaara's arm. And in that moment, she could have sworn she saw the lights in the area become just a little brighter.