Chapter 24

Honiji took a deep breath, letting the sweet smell of dirt and grass fill her lungs. It had only been a short time since she had been home, yet it felt like an eternity. The sun filtered through the tree tops, wind pushing Honiji's hair off her shoulders. It all just felt so right. Her whole body relaxed, anxiety washed away as a feeling of comfort over took her. But it didn't last long as Paku draped his arms over Honiji's shoulders and groaned loudly.

"Are we there yet?"

Kenchi and Kaita walked together, him producing cold air, her making wind to blow it on them. How they managed to talk their way in this Honiji will never know. One minute she was on the phone with her sister, the next there were seven people in the group leaving. "We should be another ten minutes out." Temari answered, her patients wearing thin.

"Why is it so hot in September?!"

"It's just the humidity. And the ground here holds the heat from the day."

"Being a walking volcano probably doesn't help either." Kenchi cracked with a smirk.

"Come on man, let me in the cold zone!"

"You know what you have to say."

Paku glared. "Never."

Honiji giggled, ducking under his arms to walk by Gaara and Kankuro instead. It was lucky that Junko had asked her home when a school holiday was coming up. She could spend time at home without worrying about the class work she was missing. And really, she was kind of happy her friends were going with them. After what happened in the library, she thought maybe this kind of vacation is just what they needed.

Although, Honiji and Gaara hadn't had much conversation since the incident. The longest conversation they had was when she talked to him about going to Konoha. But even that was only a five minute conversation. She was starting to feel like they were taking steps back in getting closer. But she just didn't know what to say to him.

The gates came into view and Honiji began to bounce with excitement. Home! They moved up until the bored to death gate guards finally took notice and flashed them winning smiles. "Well hey there Little Princess. Back so soon?" One teased.

Honiji poked her tongue out at him. "We came to visit Junko."

"You brought quite the party. Lets start the paper work." Everyone handed over their ID's and signed their names to a few papers, letting the Hokage know visitors were in the village, and then each person was granted a stamped visitors card they could present if stopped by a civil police or ninja. Honiji was on the edge of walking and running as they made their way to her fathers place. Her grip on her back pack tightened, knowing her masterpiece was waiting to meet it's intended owner. She may not be happy about the wedding, but she is so ready to see this dress on Junko.

Gaara watched her innocent smile and light skipping steps. Not being as close with her as they had been was killing him lately. He actually wanted to talk to her. He felt strangely lonely without her always there. Never had he thought he would be like this. But Honiji had changed him. He felt his heart quicken when that smile broke across her face and she began to run. Honiji had jumped to hug a tall woman with brown hair neatly pulled back and perfectly pressed high class clothing.

The woman was extremely beautiful, yet there was a certain lack of emotion in her expression. Based on descriptions Honiji had given him, Gaara assumed this woman to be her older sister Junko. But even though there was a lack of emotion in her face, he could clearly see softness in her eyes and a light curl to her mouth. This woman loves honiji, no question.

The rest of the group came to stand with them, making Honiji end the hug. The woman gazed over the group with dull brown eyes. "Welcome everyone. I assume by your cheerful stances that you are my sisters friends." She bowed respectfully from the waist. "Thank you for taking care of her."

"Jun, these are my friends Kenchi, Paku, and Kaita. This is Gaara and his siblings Temari and Kankuro. Everyone, this is Junko." Pleasantries were exchanged and Junko invited everyone inside. Honiji took the pieces of the dress out of her bag, showing her sister what she had come up with. "So once you try this on, I can know how high to hem this and where to attach the skirt. And then you have a one of a kind made just for you wedding dress."

"It's beautiful." Junko's expression was bright as she held up the bodice. "Mother is out for another half hour, and she has requested that Hotaka be here as well to put in his opinion."

Honiji's lips thinned and she lost a little color. Kaita knew why. She thought back to the email Tomoe sent her. The one that gave the exact reason Honiji can't control her magic, the reason she accepted Gaara's proposal. Junko handed out cups of tea and sat to talk with everyone. Temari was quick to ask about her royal duties, how the two villages differed in their political dealing, etc...

But Gaara noticed that Honiji  had snuck out while everyone was distracted. He quietly made his own way out, intending to finally have a reconciling conversation with her. A quick look around sent him to the bridge down the road, the very one they had stood on the first day they met. Honiji didn't turn when he came up next to her. It was quiet for a moment, the only sounds were those of the river below and a few birds. It was just as peaceful as the last time. "I honestly didn't think my life would end up like this when I brought you here." Honiji finally said.

Gaara kept his eyes on the flowing water, enjoying the way the light glittered. "Do you regret how things ended up?" He asked.

"No. I never could regret this." Honiji finally turned to him. "I'm sorry, I know I most likely made you worry when I left the library... and then avoided you for the next week."

Gaara as well moved to face her better. "Honiji, look at me." She did, her grey eyes misty. "I want you to be comfortable in this arrangement, I want you to want to go through with this. I should have told you about my past before then, I know that. Kenchi had the bravery to do what I didn't."

"You were planning on telling me?"

"It was important for you to know. I just didn't know how to tell you."

It was quiet for a minute again. Honiji knew she couldn't say anything against him not being able to tell her about his past. She still hadn't told him about hers. But now... "I've been keeping things from you, Gaara. I told you I would tell you at the pace I could, but I couldn't tell you... because I thought you might rethink  choosing me when you learned what really happened."

This time, Gaara finally reached out and gently ran his thumb across her cheek, feeling the heat that began to grow under her skin. "Nothing that could have happened to you would make me rethink choosing you."

A shy smile slipped across her face. And right when she took a deep breath, ready to tell her story, a voice called out to her. One that made her eyes burst open and her face turn white. "Well, well. My little Honi-chan. I missed you dear."

She turned slowly, sweat breaking out across her forehead, making her hair stick. And in one shaking, heartbreaking whisper, she uttered his name. "Hotaka."