Her White Eyes

So this is a story I wrote a year or two ago. i re-read it a couple nights ago and wondered how I ever thought this was a good writing style. I decided to upload it anyway. If you can look past my bad writing, I think it is actually a pretty good story. I hope you enjoy! -Emily

When I got out of my bed I knew what day it was. I quickly got dressed and ran into my kitchen, feeling around for something to eat. Today was the day my class and I will be graduating from the Ninja University and separated into four person groups to go on missions.

   I had a handicap though that made me special. I was fifteen, and I was blind. I couldn't see at all except for once every few months and even that was completely random. My other senses were heightened though. I never wore shoes because I could feel vibrations in the ground around me. I could also hear amazingly well. So it sort of balances out my weakness.

   I left the house early. My clock told me it was seven o'clock. (Yeah it can talk. I push a button and it tells me what time it is. How cool is that?) I didn't live with my parents. They disowned me when they realized I was blind. They wanted their son or daughter to be a great ninja so they could brag about it. They didn't think a blind girl would make a good ninja at all. I'll show them. I swear.

   So I was alone as I walked to the place where all of the students were to meet for our separation into our groups of four. The groups were three males and one female plus a leader for our group. I would be the only girl if our leader was a boy.

None of the other students knew I was blind. I wore my dark hair so that it covered my eyes and I always acted like I knew what I was doing. Some of the other higher level teachers knew I was blind but a lot of them didn't. I wore the rest of my hair in a sloppy pony tail in the back of my head.

Eventually the noise level went up and I guessed everyone was here. Then the leader of our village started to speak. "Good day to all of you! Thank you for coming." He started rambling on about how happy he was to have this new generation protecting our village and doing good.

"Now I will get to the good part. When I call your name come up to the front where I'm standing and you will be placed with your group. First, Sage Antaka."

Me. I was first. I made my way through the crowd to where his voice was coming from. "Hello Sage." He greeted

"Good day, sir."

He chuckled. "Alright. I need Kade Marshal, Cye Youngblood, and Four Nichols to come up here too. This will be your group. Take a good look at each other, guys. This is who you will be spending most of your time with from now on. Now for their leader. I will assign Soren Taikuta to be your mentor. Take good care of each other."

I felt the ground vibrate as sir Soren walked up. Not that he was fat. My feet were just that sensitive to vibrations in the ground.

"Alright guys." He said "Come with me." I heard him jump and followed close behind him up into the tree branches. We kept jumping from branch to branch until we were somewhere around a kilometer or two away. We landed in a small clearing full of grass.

"Ok I'd like all of you to sit down so we can talk." Sir Soren said

I sat down near him and I felt the others do the same.

"Ok first tell me your names again and tell me a little bit about your selves."

"I'm Four. I love to read and study about battle formations. I also aced every single test in the university."

"Cool. So you are smart. We can use that."

"I'm Kade. I'm really fast and I can hide easily."

"Ok good. I like that."