Chapter Eighteen

Taylor's POV

"I HATE YOU!" Ed screamed from across the room. I don't know why he was yelling, I didn't do anything.

"Ed! What's wrong? I'm sure we can work this out!" I reasoned.

"No, we can't. I'm done. Permanently. " He said as he walked out. I lost it, crying hysterically. This was the worst possible thing that could ever happen to me.

"Taylor...Taylor?" I heard Ed's voice say from somewhere, but I couldn't see him. I was still bawling, when I felt something shake me. "Taylor!" I suddenly sat bolt upright in bed, still crying.

"What happened? Are... Are you mad at me? I don't... I don't know why... Please don't leave..." I said through sobs.

"Taylor, love, it's OK. It was all just a nightmare. Nothing happened. I'm not mad at you, I promise. What happened in your dream?" He asked.

"You...you were standing across the room...and...and you were yelling at me...telling me you hated me...I hadn't done anything but...but you walked out on me...told me you were done...never coming back..."I said, still through tears.

Ed pulled me close in a hug. "Oh, darling, I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm here, I don't hate you, I love you, more than anything else. Got it? Cuz that won't ever change." He promised, and I leaned into his chest, while he consoled me, singing his own version of Safe and Sound to me.

Just close your eyes,

The sun has gone down,

You'll be alright,

You're in my arms now,

Whenever you're with me,

You and I'll be safe and sound

"I love you, Taylor." He kissed my forehead.

"I love you too, Ed." I whispered, then we both fell asleep.

Ed's POV

I awoke to Taylor sobbing in her sleep. "Taylor... Taylor?" I said softly, gently shaking her. "Taylor!" I said, and she sat up quickly.

"What happened? Are... Are you mad at me? I don't... I don't know why... Please don't leave..." She whispered, still crying.

"Taylor, love, it's OK. It was all just a nightmare. Nothing happened. I'm not made at you, I promise. What happened in your dream?" I inquired in an attempt to console her.

She gathered her breath, then said, "You...you were standing across the room...and...and you were yelling at me...telling me you hated me... I hadn't done anything but...but you walked out on me...told me you were done...never coming back."

I hugged her tight. "Oh, darling, I'm sorry. I'm here, I don't hate you, I love you, more than anything else. Got it? Cuz that won't ever change." I promised. I wanted to calm her down, she seemed so startled. I wanted to make her feel safe, I thought. Safe and Sound popped into my head, and I ad-libbed to match the situation.

Just close your eyes,

The sun has gone down,

You'll be alright,

You're in my arms now,

Whenever you're with me,

You and I'll be safe and sound

I finished, and I whispered "I love you, Taylor." with a polite kiss on the forehead.

"I love you too, Ed." she said softly, and went back to sleep. I stayed awake for a little longer, thinking about what had just happened. If she woke up crying because I left her, how much do I mean to her? I wondered. I pondered upon this until I fell asleep.