My Rival, My Doctor

-•- Prologue -•-

My eyes glazed as I saw Galifrey, my precious home planet, go up in flames. The silver trees, the red grass. Everything.

I was only 845 years old. Basically a baby to some Time Lords. The agonizing screams made me close my eyes and try to shut them out.

A person's figure was on the next cliff over from where I was. He looked upon the flames wistfully and held his hand up. It was starting to glow yellow; a sure mark of a Time Lord. A blue box was behind him and I gasped, recognizing the infernal cover.

It was the Doctor.

A tingling sensation started in my chest. The same yellow glow surrounded me. The lungs should have collapsed if I was human.

My first real regeneration. I've had a forced regeneration, but some say if you actually die and regenerate, it's 10 times as painful.

I forgot all about the Doctor as I threw my head, engulfed in the yellow flames, and screamed in pain. It was as if someone had poured lava in my veins. Not just a physical change, but an emotional change, cutting all visible and invisible holdings on my fellow citizens, friends, and family.

My TARDIS was on the cliff. She sensed the urgency and started the process. I staggered into one of the rooms, working on the new limbs, height, hair, and teeth. Changing eye color hurts, almost as if someone took a needle and extracted the old color and injected the new one.

TARDIS was worried about my well being and began to look out for me, until I regained my energy.

We drifted in space for days before I came to. My head hasn't hurt that much since I was a child and looked into the time vortex.

Oh, I saw impossible things, wonderfully impossible things. Since then, my dream was to search the galaxy, but for that, I'd need a TARDIS.

When I finally obtained a TARDIS, the Time War began and I was sent to help.

The Time War has ended. Along with my fellow Time Lords, the screams came from Daleks and every other opposing force. The Time War had ceased with no victor.

I was the last Natural Time Lord. I, along with every one of my kind, can see the whole of time and space, but I can draw energy from it. The energy could be used to industrialize an entire continent-or destroy it.

The High Council forced me to supply a dangerous amount of energy to fuel the Time War, but was sent to regain my own energy on a nearby rift in time on the cliff.

I may not be the last Time Lord, if the Doctor lived. He and I have hated each other since we met. I found his constant rule breaking annoying, while he just disliked me for reasons I may not know.

TARDIS needed to charge so I opened the doors of mine and dangled my feet over space.

Space and time in the palm of my hands, but the price was costly.

I can see what could have been, what didn't, and what never was.

And it hurts.