Chapter 47: Midnight

"Thanks for letting us stay here, Xave," I tell him before sending him and his very pregnant wife an appreciative smile. "From the bottom of my heart," I start, pausing to point to Jay and then to myself, "we're so grateful."

"It's the least we could do," Emma reassures us with a grin of her own. In all honesty, she looks like she's about to pop.

"Your home literally hit rock bottom," Xavier replies with a chuckle, not the least bit sensitive, "of course, we'd take you homeless thugs in, Kitten. We've got more than enough rooms to spare."

I roll my eyes. Again with the nickname and the lame jokes. Still, it helps to have rich friends.

Jay wordlessly nods at Emma and Xavier before picking up his bags. Impassive, he heads past us to his room for the night. Slobber glances over at me before running after Jay – his true favorite.

"Is he okay?" Emma asks, obviously having noticed how quiet he's been – more so than usual.

I shake my head. "No," I answer simply. "Not at all."

"Anything we can do to help?" Xave asks, wrapping an arm around Emma's waist in the process, clearly still very much in love.

"I wish." I sigh internally, feeling out of my depth as it is. "But no, no you can't. I'm not sure anyone can this time." Except for a professional psychologist.

Emma, sensing my discomfort and sensing the dire seriousness of the situation, drops the 'Jay' subject. "So, where are those goofballs gonna stay now? I'm still having a hard time grasping the fact that they literally destroyed JT's house."

Me too.

"Gland said he has contacts," I quickly explain. "I was too scared to ask any more."

"At least, you and Jay managed to salvage some stuff," Xavier chimes in, trying to make me see the non-existent positive side to all of this.

I glance down at my bag filled with the last of my material things, including the last of my clothes. Fortunately, Jay was able to retrieve some of our things. "I guess."

I don't care that I've lost everything, in terms of material possessions. All I care about is Jay. All I care about is losing him.

"You look tired." Emma sends me a pitied stare.

"I am," I admit. I'm tired of everything.

"Go to sleep, Kitten. It's been quite the day for you. Get some rest," Xave encourages, assuring me that he won't take my sleepiness as a sign of rudeness – not that I really care, it's just not in my nature to.

"Thanks," I send him a fleeting smile before following after Emma as she leads me to the room that she's prepared for me.

I'm taken aback at the effort she's put in.

"I put new bed sheets on. I've laid out some pajamas because I wasn't sure if you had any left. I've just run a bath for you and I've put shampoo, conditioner, fluffy towels – I know you love your fluffy towels – and what all in it. You name it. If you need anything, Xave and I are on the third level," Emma tells me nervously, hoping that all that she did for me will be enough.

I launch into Emma and hug the life out of her. "Thank you so much. Thank you for going out of your way for me, for us."

She laughs. "You two deserve it." She then hesitates, doubtful, as a thought occurs to her. "Also, I wasn't sure if you and JT wanted to be in the same room together...because...you know...you guys were dating again and I wasn't sure if you two had...I mean, if you want, but he's leaving tomorrow, we can always-"