Chapter 14: Last Say

"Don't you think you're being a little unreasonable here?" Max squawks on like the annoying parrot he is. Engaging with him is unbearable at times. He doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, like Ryan, but sometimes he makes me wish for an AK-47 to blow his brains out. I could even take it a step further and incorporate some missiles and a rocket launcher.

"It's common freaken sense Max!" I hiss at him in pure determination, "I just need to get him alone for a second or two to explain properly this time." I reason, trying to justify my means to talk to Jay. Maybe I just like talking to him...

"Look, I get that he's a glamorous, irresistible studmuffin in your eyes, but don't you think he deserves some space?" Max asks me, point blank. I'm reminded of the time when Jay told me that we'd never need space from each other, yet here we are...

"But he waved at me!" I protest, set in my ways as I stubbornly emphasize my point.

"That doesn't mean anything!" Max snaps at me, slowly growing impatient with my lack of understanding. It almost feels like he's tutoring me in mathematics again - the only time he ever really snapped at me.

"So what are you suggesting then?" I huff in defeat, quirking an eyebrow at Max as I wait to hear his golden advice. It better be golden, or else.

"He only recently got back home. I'm just suggesting you fly under the radar for now until he settles in, until he stops resenting your presence as much. One-on-one time with him is like asking for World War III. The sky might just fall. It's bound to lead to an argument between you two, furthering in your unresolved conflict. Hold back a little longer. You'll get your chance when he gives it to you himself." Max says, telling me something similar to what Grey had told me.

I yawn, bored, as I wave the matter off, "Very well said Maxi-pad. Beautiful, bravo!" I clap my hands in fake enthusiasm before scowling at him, "Except for the entire part where you blubbered incoherently about irrelevant stuff."

Max's face falls, "You're a really mean person, you know?"

I ignore his girly whining, "So this is what I'm going to do, I'm going to get him alone and allow him to confront me so that I can finally explain everything." I let Max in on my plan. Benley said to tell Jay everything and so that's what I'm going to do.

Max rolls his eyes at me, "Isn't this how we started this entire conversation?" He queries, experiencing a moment of deja vu. He raises an eyebrow my way, "Did you not hear anything of what I just said?" He quizzes. "I said to stay low, not go all out with your pack of wolves."

Stupid Max. He's part of my pack of wolves. He's my second in command. I'm his Alpha.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Anything worth doing is worth going all out, especially if it's concerning Jay Taylor." I say, insistent on doing things my way. I've never been the type to shy away from matters that need resolving.

"It's like you just tune me out." Max complains in vain, me still paying no heed to his nonsense.

I grin innocently up at him and nudge his shoulder teasingly with my own, "Self-preservation my friend, self-preservation." I gracefully stride away from him after that, allowing it to sink into his puzzled head.

"Out of my way!" Troy shoves past me rudely, easily lifting me up and placing me aside, "I've got a date tonight. Have to look my absolute best, shouldn't be difficult considering that I always look superb." Troy then proceeds by taking out his phone and dialing a number, "Ramos, I need you!" He greets his only friend (besides Max) in sheer panic, "Get here now," he demands rudely, "my hair needs to be perfect for tonight! Do you hear me right now Ramos? Perfect!"