Chapter 9

Cora had her forehead pressed against the table and was drinking her coffee from a straw. Bill had already tried to talk to her and all she did was growl at him like a wild animal. It had been three weeks since she had started actual physical labor and her body was screaming. Every muscle was begging for her not to move but she knew that wasn't possible. She wished it wasn't though.

A large body slide into the chair next to her and set a glass object on the table. She didn't have to look up to know who it was. After working closely with Jacob for a few weeks she realized he had a certain smell and she secretly enjoyed it. The scent was a mixture of grass, leather, and a slight hint of his after shave. The combination brought her an overwhelming comfort that was euphoric but terrifying at the same time,

"It's Saturday Jacob," she grumbled. "Leave me alone."

He chuckled loudly. Cora was so shocked by the noise that she quickly lifted her upper body and regretted it. An ache shot through her that had her groaning loudly. Jacob immediately stopped laughing and put his hand on her back.

"Are you okay?" asked Jacob, running his hand up and down her back.

"What the hell is going on here?" exclaimed Cody.

Cora shot up again and cursed loudly. "Would you two quit making me move so quickly! My muscles are screaming and my legs feel like jello."

"Fine," huffed Cody, "But what the hell is going on?"

Jacob suddenly realized that his hand was still there. He hastily removed it and shot up from the table.

"I was just making myself some breakfast and put some for Cora," answered Jacob. "I'll see you guys later."

Cora grabbed Jacob's wrist just as he was leaving. "Thank you for the food."

He nodded once without turning to face her and practically fled from the room. She watched him leave with a new budding curiosity. After working with him for almost a month she realized he was sweet and fiercely loyal but in a way that most people didn't understand.

Her two favorite things were him cooking an extra serving of breakfast and always giving her some and having her coffee ready for her as soon as she entered the kitchen. Jacob like to say that it was because he wanted her ready for the day but she knew better.

Cody plunked down next to Cora and took a bite of her oatmeal. "So what are you doing today?"

Cora sighed. Instead of addressing what just happened Cody would rather ignore it. He liked to push a problem aside just as quickly as it popped up. Cody hated confrontation and this had caused many fights between them. Eventually Cora just learned that this is how he was and he wasn't going to change for anyone.

"I'm taking a bath for sixteen and a half hours and then sleeping."

Cody laughed. "What a random time. Why only sixteen and a half?"

"Because my favorite show is on for half an hour so I'm going to take a bath, watch it, and go to bed."

Cody took another bite of her oatmeal and then leaned back in the chair. "Then I guess you don't want to come to the gym with me."

Cora turned to face him, her body humming with excitement. "Of course I do! You've only been promising me for a few weeks now."

"I've been busy," he answered, running a hand over his shaved head. "My big match is in two months but we're doing some easy training today."

"That's awesome! What time are we leaving?"

"In half an hour," he said, smiling brightly. "And after the gym we can go get lunch. There s a great seafood place in the city."