Chapter 7

Cora sat in her room and stared at the wall. She had managed to clean it on Sunday and smelled much better. The furniture no longer had dust which meant that neither did her belongings.

They had finished dinner early since Cora had decided that she would help. Jacob made the chicken and she helped with all the sides. He didn't say much but she could tell just how much he appreciated the help. It made her feel good that she was making his life a little easier even though her contribution was small.

There was a loud knock at the door that suddenly broke her concentration.

Cora frowned. "Come in!"

Cody walked in, smiling from ear to ear, and sat down next to her. He bounced up and down on the bed like a child and stared at Cora.

She sighed. "Okay I'll bite, what do you want Cody?"

"My dad said you were nervous about riding a horse."

"Maybe Jacob should keep his mouth shut," grumbled Cora.

"What?"

Cora turned to face him. "Never mind. I guess I am. What does it matter to you?"

Cody tugged a piece of her hair and successfully dodged a smack from her. "You are extra feisty tonight! I just wanted to see if you might want to ride with me for a bit, I promise I'll be patient and won't laugh."

"I don't need your help and if you laughed at me then you would be a serious jerk."

Cody held his hand over his heart. "That's why I said I wouldn't princess. Now come ride with me for a bit."

He stood up and held out his hand for Cora. He patiently waited for her while offering his brightest smile. Cora found herself eventually grinning and grabbing his extended hand. He refused to let go as he led her out of the house.

Cora was feeling slightly guilty. Normally anything Cody said brightened her mood but this time her bad attitude was due to his lack of helping around the farm. She saw just how much Jacob did and didn't blame him for being angry with Cody. It wasn't fair that most of the work fell on Jacob but, Cora should have asked Cody I stead of just assuming that he was lazy.

"Everything alright?" asked Cody. She looked up to see his deep green eyes burning with concern. The care mirrored in there took her breath away. She smiled and gave his hand a squeeze.

"Nothing serious. We can talk about it later."

He nodded, his smiling returning. "Good. Now let's get your crazy horse. My dad told me you picked the one that tried to murder him."

Cora laughed. "I don't think he is capable of murder. The horse is sweet. I like him."

Cody shrugged. "Whatever you say. As long as you like him then that's all that matters. Just be careful."