Chapter 1

They say that funerals bring out the worst in people but most would contest that weddings are a close second. Family feuds can ensue, friends may be lost, shouting matches will take place, and many tears will be shed.

The end result is what every bride looks forward to; all eyes are on her as she gracefully is led down the aisle by a loved one. She finally makes it to the alter and gets to stand in front of the person whose love is undying and unwavering. It's an emotion that many get to experience and Cora thought that's exactly how her day was going to end.

She had wanted to get married since she was a little girl. Every play date would consist of her practicing her vows, what her dress would look like, and just how wonderful the day would be.

She was eighteen when her boyfriend and high school sweetheart asked her to marry him. Of course she said yes. How could she say no? Now she regretted, with all her heart, saying that one simple word. It turned out that her wedding planning, something that was supposed to be joyous and happy, was the worst experience of her life.

They decided to get married in August right before her fiancé, Mike, went to college. She applied for the same school and found out she was accepted. They would get married, live together, eventually graduate, and then start a family. It was perfect; almost too perfect.

It was the day before her wedding and Cora couldn't have been more excited. She had been driving around with Mike, making some last minute stops, when he decided to run a stop sign. Their town was small and that usually wasn't a big deal but that day it was different. The last thing Cora saw was a red truck barreling towards them. She screamed as the world went black around her.

Waking up and getting the first glimpse of her body was devastating. She was covered in bandages from head to toe and her lower half was in a huge cast.

They were hit by a driver going forty miles per hour and Cora was lucky to be alive. That's what everyone kept saying but she didn't feel lucky. In fact, she wished she had died. It was a morbid thought but the only way she knew to escape what had happened to her body and life.

The doctors said that her pelvis and right leg were shattered. They used over two dozen screws, and a few metal poles for her leg, and they still weren't sure if she would be able to use it again. If that wasn't hard enough to hear, they said there was a lot of internal damage and she may never have children.

Cora cried. She wanted nothing more than to be a mother. It was her dream to get married and have children. Now that was all taken from her by one stupid decision.

That wasn't even the worst part though.

The last words Mike said before he left was, "You've changed."

Cora didn't even have the energy to ask him why. It was so crushing that she felt like he had physically struck her.

And the thing that kept replaying over and over again in her mind was did her leave her because she had physically changed or because she was emotionally unavailable? Cora wasn't sure and she never had a chance to find out. Mike went off to college and her fairy tale was over.

***

There was a light tapping at Cora's bedroom door. She was about to shout a string of complaints when the door suddenly flew open. In ran a blur of pink and blonde. The furry thing jumped on her and began singing loudly.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birth-

"Get off!" shouted Cora.

She threw her sister as hard as she could but the girl quickly bounced back. She was like a little rabid squirrel that just wouldn't quit.