Chapter 10

Cora slid out of the car and swallowed hard. She was excited to be able to see Cody box but just the thought of talking to that old man again made her nervous. He was tiny and looked frail but Cora could sense an authority about him. She hoped the man would realize that what happened between Jacob and Cody had nothing to do with her.

Cody flicked Cora's ear. "Ready to go squirt?"

Cora spun around and kicked him in the shin. She smiled as he sucked on his lip and grabbed his leg.

"I am two inches short of six feet. That is not short in my book."

"Whatever," said Cody. "Let's just go inside before you put me out of commission."

Cora rolled her eyes and followed after him. They walked through the rusted doors and immediately her senses were overwhelmed. The familiar stench of sweat, mold, and body odor hit her all at once. Shortly after her ears were bombarded with hitting, shouting, and other noises she couldn't quite figure out.

"What's the matter?" asked Cody.

"What do you mean?"

"If your nose and forehead wrinkle anymore they're going to get stuck that way."

Cora forcefully eased her facial muscles. "This place seriously stinks."

Cody chuckled. "It's a bunch of sweaty guys working out and beating each other up. What do you expect?"

"I guess you're right," she grumbled. "But that doesn't make it any better."

Cody opened the next set of doors for her and the smell was even stronger. She was about to make another witty remark when her line of vision was obstructed by the old man. He was slowly approaching, his face determined and full of purpose.

"Great," mumbled Cora.

He stopped in front of both and them an addressed Cody first. "I'm glad you decided to come today. Go get changed and put on the pads. Travis will be working with you today."

"But-"

The old man pointed to the locker rooms. "Get ready now before I change my mind."

Cora rocked back on forth on her feet and stared awkwardly at the old man. He finally cleared his throat and turned his attention to Cora. She froze, waiting for his harsh words.

He surprised Cora by holding out his weathered hand and smiling. "My name is Sammy and you must be Cora."

"Yes," she said, breathing a sigh of relief. "it's nice to properly meet you but how do you know my name?"

"Cody talks about you all the time. I hear your name at least two hundred times a day."

Cora blushed. "We get along pretty good."

Sammy looped his arm through Cora's and smiled. "I would love it if a pretty girl like you kept me company."

"Okay," answered Cora, "But on one condition."

Sammy raised an eyebrow. "I didn't know you were in the position to bargain."

"I wasn't until you made it clear that my beauty could be used against you."

Sammy stared at her for a brief moment before bursting into laughter. It sounded like a mix of a dying animal and a frog. A few people near by stopped what they were doing and began to whisper.

Sammy finally stopped, wiped his eyes, and pulled Cora forward again.

"You are smart. I like you."

"Thank you," answered Cora.

"What would you like to know?" asked Sammy,

"Who owns the gym?"