Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The rest of the week had gone by and Cora had attempted to help Jacob with everything he asked of her. She wasn't sure if he purposely did this but they basically spent the whole week walking around and learning how the farm operated.

Cora appreciated the subtle hints of kindness but she wanted to work. Shortly after arriving she realized that physically keeping herself busy was like emotional therapy. She was too tired to focus on anything but the task at hand. She hoped that all this and work would eventually just ease her depression and thoughts and she could once again search for that happiness that she so briefly had.

Even if what she had with Mike was a lie, it still gave her a glimpse of a future that she had always dreamed of. Maybe it wasn't with him but she would find that again one day and this time she would be more cautious about it.

Cora sat on the porch rocker and waited for Jacob to come outside. She had started sitting out here for the past few days and really enjoyed it. The cool, fresh air was a nice treat in the morning. That, along with coffee, really helped her wake up at the ridiculous time of five in the morning.

The door slowly creaked open and out stepped Jacob. He handed her a bowl of oatmeal and sat in the other chair. Normally Cora kept quiet but it was Monday and she wanted this week to be different.

"Why don't you drink coffee?" She asked.

Jacob slowly looked up and frowned. "Because it tastes like mud."

"Why do you know what mud tastes like?"

He leaned back in his chair and set the bowl down. "Why so many questions? Just finish your food so we can start working."

Cora turned slightly away from him and took another bite of her oatmeal. She was getting used to the idea of Jacobs company but still hated the sharp remarks or bad attitude that constantly followed him around.

Jacob sighed. "I don't want to be dependent on something to wake me up in the morning. I have a cup once and a while but I like it with milk and a lot of sugar. My dad said that I basically turn it into a dessert with all the sugar I put in there."

Cora didn't turn to face him again but she smiled and nodded. "I don't really think coffee gives me a boost anymore. I just really enjoy the flavor,"

"Yeah but what happens if you stop drinking it?"

"I get a really bad headache and can't function," answered Cora.

"So that means you need it for a small boost. You're dependent on it."

Cora bit the corner of her lip and turned to face him. "I guess you're right but it's not something I'm willing to quit just yet. Actually, I probably will never quit it."

Jacob stood up and grabbed the bowls. "Well you always were a stubborn kid so I wouldn't expect any different."

"Ha!" exclaimed Cora. "Look who's talking. You were stubborn as hell. Besides," said Cora, folding her arms, "How would you know what I was like. You avoided Cody and me like the plague.?

Jacob shook his head and walked inside. He returned a few seconds later with his old, dirty baseball cap and his jacket. He jumped off the porch and only glanced back once to make sure Cora was following. She thought he had completely ignored her early statement until he cleared his throat and glanced at her.

"I didn't purposely avoid you. I knew my uncle was sick and that we were going to eventually inherit the dairy farm so I spent every second with my dad learning the ins and outs."

"Yeah but when we were really young you avoided me then too,"

Jacob smiled. "I also thought you were a bit annoying?"