Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five – A Kiss of Death

"Don't touch it." Kaden growls in warning, making me roll my eyes.

"I'm just pushing it away. I never ate the food they would bring in." I huff, sliding the plate back towards the door.

"You haven't eaten since then?" His question comes out more like a statement, his icy blue eyes sad.

"I'm okay." I smile, sipping from the glass of water after Kaden said it was fine to drink. "Can we go to Rosie's after we get out, though? I'm craving a burger."

He grins, his husky chuckles echoing in the air. "I'll take you anywhere you want after this, Luna. Just as long as you're by my side."

I giggle at his protective tone, tracing aimless patterns on the ground. He smiles softly before looking down at his watch, nodding to himself. When our eyes meet, he shakes his head at my confused expression. Pointing to the door, he cups his ear and tells me to listen.

I wait in silence for a few minutes before my eyes widen in alarm when the door of the room opens, a loud moan of the rusty metal echoing in the room. Scooting back, I stare at Kaden with wide eyes, my heart racing in fear. But before he can say anything, I see them.

Rico, Derek and Owen appear in my line of sight and I gasp loudly. They wave before quickly unlocking the doors of our cells and the shackles. I feel disorientated when I stand up, stretching my sore limbs as I walk out of the cell.

Immediately, I am embraced tightly by Kaden. I sigh in content, wrapping my arms around him as I cuddle closer. A mix between a growl and a purr escapes him as he inhales my scent, peppering kisses to my mark. The boys are waiting for us outside, giving us privacy.

I pull away and press my lips to his, moaning softly when he cups my face and kisses me hungrily. It's short and sweet but it's enough. We pull away and he intertwines our hands, leading me out of the prison. The five of us make our way down the hallways, the men holding guns and checking for any threats.

When we reach the exit and step outside, I cannot help but gasp loudly. It's a warzone out here, dead and bloodied bodies strewn on the ground. My stomach flips and I feel nauseous when I notice several heads and body parts on the gravel.

"Rico and Owen, take her back to my place." Kaden orders, gently pushing me towards them.

"What? No!" I immediately protest to the idea of leaving him. "Come with me."

He sighs and sharply nods to the boys to leave us. Pulling me close, he cups my face and my hands cover his. My eyes are pleading when I look up at him, begging him not to leave me again, especially to go fight in a battle where he can potentially get hurt.

His thumb rubs against my cheek and I close my eyes, savouring the feel of him against my body. "I promise I'll come back home to you. But you know as well as I do that my father needs to go, I can't have him endangering lives any further."

I nod in understanding, still not liking the idea of him leaving. He smiles and presses a firm kiss to my forehead, his lips lingering. I can't help but hug him again, wrapping my arms tight around him. He chuckles and strokes my hair, sighing in content.

"Have the medical kit out when I return, nurse Luna." He teases, making me slap his arm.

"If you're hurt in any way, you'll receive a scolding too." I mutter as I pull away.