Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine – New York.

Kaden is nowhere to be seen when I wake up. I take a shower and get dressed, making my way downstairs. Offering to make breakfast, I get started on the food. Vulcan's brother, Alexei, takes the tray of food Aurora and I had prepared, disappearing into the study.

As soon as we have finished breakfast, I insist on cleaning up before following Aurora's voice down to the sitting room where I meet her and the guilty looking twins who are covered in mud and grass.

"Help me?" She pleads, picking up Ayla with a glare as she scolds her children about getting their clothes dirty.

"Of course." I chuckle, taking Ivan and following her to the nearest bathroom to bathe the twins.

After cleaning the twins and putting them down for their nap, I spent some time with Aurora who went on to show me around the territory. She introduced me to some of her pack members that we met along the way, all lovely and kind. I was amazed to see what pack life was like and wondered if Kaden ever misses it.

He always puts on a strong front, acting indifferent but I know that secretly, but I wonder why he never joined another pack.Aurora told me that every wolf belongs in a one, it gives them a sense of family, people they can rely on and be part of something special.

"How did you and Vulcan meet?" I ask, taking a seat on the bench outside on the pack grounds.

Aurora smiles gently, her eyes glazing over. "At an airport. Back then I was human like you, I didn't know what I meant to Vulcan until he finally told me. There were a lot of bumps in the road but it was all worth it. I'm the happiest with him and our children."

"You were a human?" I ask, my mind running a mile a minute. "You aren't now?"

She smiles sadly, but it didn't seem like she is sad over the fact that she is not human anymore. "I was kidnapped and bitten by a vampire. It was hell and I slipped into a coma because my body couldn't deal with it. Vulcan had to mark me again and his beasts saved me, so when I woke up we discovered that I possessed abilities of both his vampire and his wolf. I don't shift or anything, I'm just not a human anymore."

"So...you're somewhat of a hybrid just like your mate?" I grin, hearing her laughter echo in the clearing.

"Somewhat yes." She giggles, caressing her stomach.

I look up to the evening sky, the sun setting reminding me that Kaden and I have dinner plans. "Shoot! I can't believe I forgot."

"What's wrong?"

"Kaden and I are meeting my brother for dinner tonight. I still have to get ready." I explain, looking at my phone to see I had an hour.

"Great! Let's go get you ready then!" Aurora claps excitedly, pulling me up with such strength before dragging me back to the house.

***

I make my way down the stairs with Aurora, Vulcan greeting me as he took his mate into his arms. Aurora wishes me good luck before waving as the couple disappears into the sitting room, probably to have quiet time since their kids are finally asleep.

I release a deep breath before making my way outside where I know Kaden is waiting. Opening the door, I step out and begin making my way down the stone walkway to the car. He looks so handsome in his black suit, a red tie around his neck that Vulcan changed at the last second when Aurora mind linked him. He had clearly shaved and styled his hair, the dark black strands looking neater than their usual messy, tousled style.