Reading Between The Lyrics - Chp 24 {Lies & Ties}

‘I just needed you to know. I just need you to know. Oh, we're closer than you'll ever know. And maybe someday you'll see. I bite my tongue so you don't see what I see. Your innocent eyes keep you aflame. But my eyes see the truth and the truth is that we're closer than you'll ever know. Oh and one day we'll grow, we'll be closer than you'll ever know and that's okay because you don't need to see the monsters hiding beneath your bed, no you don't need those monsters. I'll protect you from the monsters, so stay innocent but you'll never know we're closer than you've ever know.’ – Riley May – Lies & Ties

I laughed “I won’t be long, I’m just going to grab some doughnutsfor us and then I’ll be heading straight there to yours.” I reassured him speaking through the phone as I weaved in and out of the wild throng of people in the mall.

“Yeah about that,” Chad began hesitantly making my eyes narrow even though he wasn’t even there “you may want to grab a couple boxes of doughnuts.”

I laughed under my breath “Why? Are we feeding an army?” I joked as I weaved in between two oblivious teens that just stood there; sometimes I wished I was a bulldozer.

“Well Brent just called me and Lucy wants to head over and study with us.” He explained.

“Yeah that’s fine.” I said brushing it off, it was a study session; it wasn’t like we were going to be getting up to something for only us two, definitely not now any ways….

“And I think the brats heard so they’re begging for some now.” He added on sheepishly, the brats being his little brother and sister.

I laughed “Is that why you locked yourself in your room?”

“Guilty baby.” He said chuckling through the phone making my smile grow.

“Do they want anything in particular?” I asked my eyes lighting up at the sight of a huge plastic doughnut used for advertisement, I was nearly there.

“No, just for you to hurry up and get your butt here.” He said earnestly through the phone.

I laughed “No, that’s what you want.” I teased him.

“Can you honestly blame me baby?” he asked, a smile in his voice and yet his voice forevermore gentle and sweet.

I giggled blushing like a silly school girl even though when it came to Chad and I these days we honestly didn’t have anything hidden or secretive from each other, he had seen my body and soul naked. Still, I blushed. “No but….” I trailed off stunned at the sight a few meters away from me.

There was a pause on the phone ‘till Chad’s anxious voice met my ears “But? Riley are you there baby?”

I licked my lips, my mouth suddenly dry as my gaze stayed glued to the sight before me, unwavering “Yeah I’m…I’m going to be back a little bit late.” I answered softly, my voice sounding almost breathless.

Chad said nothing for a while “Are…are you alright?”

I nodded clearing my parched throat “Yeah, it’s just….Elizabeth.” I said, as if it made all the sense in the world and yet to Chad it did.

Chad sighed, not annoyed but with understanding laced “Alright just let me know when you’re leaving alright?”

I nodded, my lips twitching faintly “You worry too much.”

Chad chuckled through the phone “You’d be worried if I didn’t worry about you Riley.” He pointed “Alright, I’ll let you go and we’ll see you soon ready to study whenever you can.”