12. Drunk

Chapter 12 - Drunk

   "So you've been alive this whole entire time?" Jaime asked Iris for the tenth time.

   "Yes!" She grins, it was good seeing Iris smiling. She genuinely looked happy to see the boys. They were all sitting around the couch having a few beers. So much for recording today…

   But it didn't matter to me as long as it made Iris happy. The boys were quite joyful to see her, but again with complete and utter shock. 

   It took a while for Tony to look away from Iris. Jaime seemed to go along with it but still took him some time. I sat back and let them talk to her. I've had my fair share to talk to Iris, so I thought I let them have theirs.

   That's until Jaime brought up the million dollar question for him and Tony. "Where did you and Vic bump into at?"

   She looks at me nervously, you can tell she doesn't really want to tell. But she does anyways. "At that strip club you guys were at the first day you arrived here."

  "Were you there for the hell of it? Or do you work as a bartender there?" Tony asks as he sips his drink.

"Stripper." She corrects him.

"Nice!" Mike grins as he shakes his head with approval.

"Well not anymore." She sighs, keeping her head down.

"Maybe we can make you our merch girl for our next headlining tour?" Jaime offers. 

   I look at him with my eyes bulging. I didn't want Iris to think about me leaving. At least not now. It was coming up sooner or later but I just wanted to relax with her along with recording some of the songs for the new album. But our time is coming to an end and we'll be back to touring.

   After touring we'll be finishing up the album then headlining a tour. Maybe having Iris as a merch girl won't be too bad.

   But all of that is a week ago. Recording is going grand and Iris and I's relationship seems to being doing great.

    She retrieved some of her clothing to take back to my apartment. We'll be going back to pick up more of her stuff later down the week.

   We've done small things here and there together. Like yesterday for example, we went out to the beach. It's too cold to swim but it was nice to feel the sea breeze and have our feet in the sand. The sun was slowly setting and not too many people were at the beach. The seagulls could be heard in the distance as we stopped midway in the sand.

"I've always loved the sand." She smiles at me.

"I can recall." I look down at my feet, curling them into the sand.

   Memories from the bond fire at a beach we attend to went through my head. It felt so long ago, more than just three years but it actually it was merely just those three years. 

"Remember when we saw those million dollar houses? Said that one day-" I cut her off.

"I know what I said. I even wrote a song about." I remind her, with a chuckle.

"Those seemed to the simpler times."

   "Really?" I frown. I didn't expect that out of her. All the times of her panic attacks, night mares, and the voice inside of her was the simpler time for her? Not to mention even self-harming.

   "I can see that you're surprised just from the look on your face." The wind picks up as she speaks, making her hair run wild.

  "Not surprised - " I pause. "Just wasn't seeing that one coming."

"So basically you were surprised." She snickers and walks down the shoreline. 

Hurrying along, I catch up with her. "Iris, I have a question."

"And I might have an answer." She says.

"What exactly are we?" I dare to ask. It's been a burning question all week. 

   To the times we'll be cuddling and watching movies or to the sex almost every night, I just needed to know.

   "I have to confess something to you, Victor." She sighs. "I tried to keep my distance away from you in the beginning of things. But let’s see how things go. Let’s not rush into things, yeah?"

   It was better than nothing. It was still something. It gave me hope that maybe Iris and I can have a future together and maybe just maybe it will be bright. I could see a future with Iris, hopefully Iris can as well. But at this point, I needed to get Iris on the right track. Have her attend college or at least get a decent job. The boys mentioned her being on the road with us and be a merch girl but for some strange reason I can't see that happening. 

It leaves me to where I am now. Another late night in the studio with lyrics on paper. I was alone and was concentrated on the lyrics in front of me.  

She sits up high surrounded by the sun

One million branches and she loves every one

"Mom and dad, did you search for me? I've been up here so long I'm going crazy!"

It's a beginning for something. I don't particularly know where it's going but it is one thing for sure: It's Iris inspired. 

On the other page is a set of lyrics that I just don't know about.

 Do you know
I count your heartbeats before you sleep (you sleep)?
I bite my fingernails to bone (to bone)
And then I crawl back under the stairwell
To a place I call my home.

   My phone unexpectedly rings and it's Iris' name flashing on the screen. I rubbed my eyes, refocusing them. It was late, and I had no idea why she was calling so late. But I wasn’t just going to let my phone be. "Hello?"

"Vic, I don't know what I just did!" She sobs hysterically. 

Scrambling for my keys, I panic from hearing her voice.

"I was drinking and-" She pauses.

"Don't move, Iris! I'll be right over!" I'm already racing outside to get to my car. Not even bothering turning off the lights of the studio. I had even left my jacket.

"I don't know, Vic." She cries harder. The desperation in her voice was unbearable. "I just screwed up so badly."

___________

a.n

Yikes....

There's two chapters left and an epilogue.

Be prepared! Vote and comment.

Sorry for the sucky updates. Just want this done and over with. I regret ever making a sequel...oh well.

- Kc Jun.12.14