Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It's not normal for any guy to have a blank expression when he's offering two hundred dollars a shift to someone. Does he even have that much money?

He's still waiting for my answer while I remain frozen in my spot. I mean, it's a normal reaction to that question, right? Who offers that much money working at a store? Maybe nurses and cops make that much money a shift but all I'm supposed to do is sell sparkly rocks to people. It's not a job that should make that much money.

"So is that an acceptable amount of do you want more?" he curiously asks, cocking an eyebrow at me while clicking his pen. More? He's offering more?

"Um, I know this is gonna sound weird coming from me but um, why are you paying me that much money to sell jewelry?" I ask.

He clears his throat and sits up straighter. "This isn't your typical store. The manager has a lot, and I mean a lot, of money so he pays his employees more. He doesn't need half of the money he has which is why he typically offers this much," he explains, shrugging like it's no big deal. But I thought he was the manager?

"How much is he paying you?" I ask. Maybe if I know how much the others around here are making, then I would be know if the amount he's offering is fair or not.

"I'm being paid one-fifty to two-hundred, depending on how long I work. So which payment plan do you want?" he asks, tapping his pen on the table. The sound slightly irritates me but I keep my mouth shut.

"Maybe just a hundred a shift?" I suggest, not wanting to ask for too much. He gives me a weird look but proceeds to write someone down on the piece of paper.

"Now what days are you available to work?" he asks.

"Any day of the week, but on weekdays I can't get here until around three or four," I answer.

"What about the weekends?"

"Those are the days I'm most free," I say.

"Hm, okay. What about your little brother? Around how long can he be by himself or with someone else without you?" he asks.

"My friend can always- wait how do you know I have a little brother?" I ask, giving him a suspicious glare.

Suddenly his expression goes from calm to nervous, making my suspicion spike even more. "Uh, your work papers state your family members and it says that you have an eight year old registered, which I'm assuming is your brother," he replies. I lean against the chair and cross my arms.

I would have believed him had he not looked so nervous. "Uh huh, so where did you get the paper? I don't remember giving it to you." A weird feeling settles in my stomach but I try to keep my expression neural so that he doesn't think I'm interrogating him, which I am.

"Your manager from your previous work emailed it to me."

"But then how did you know I was going to ask for a job here?"

"I didn't. I got it before we were in this room."

"But when did you find the time to-" Suddenly the door slams open making me shriek in shock and turn around, only to drop my jaw at the figure walking on. Standing on the doorway is none other than Levi.

What's he doing here?

***

Layton's POV

Never, in my entire life, have I ever been this happy to have Levi interrupting something between Nebraska and I. Her curiosity almost made me admit my biggest secret to her, and I know her knowledge of my secret is something neither of us want.

Forever YoursOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara