Chapter 27

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

"Wh-what?" Brea spluttered, looking up in a shock which mirror Holly's and mine. "I-I think you've got the wrong person."

The Air Queen smiled, then lifted her chin to look over at the Light Queen, who met her gaze, and nodded.

"The Queens of Goldwoode welcome you!" she said, her powerful voice echoed by the other Queens.

"Thank you, Your Graces," Holly answered humbly, and held out her arm in a Hunger Games/Katniss fashion, but except with her palm facing out. Soft purple light illuminated it, then spread and washed over the Queens.

"Thank you, Holly," the Air Queen said with a smile. Then they all turned expectantly to look at me.

I began to panic, and glanced at Holly in worry. She mouthed "offering," and I hesitantly stepped forward, and held out my arm like she had done.

When the blue light engulfed my hand, I expected my energy to drain a little. They were supposed to be taking something from me, right? But instead, I felt a little boost, then relaxation.

The blue coming off my hand then washed over the Queens as well. When it did, they all began to murmur between themselves and I could feel their scrutinising glances. The Ice Queen shot me a proud smile, but that was all.

"Brea? Would you like to try now?" the Air Queen said, her mouth turned upwards slightly at the corners. "You will be amazed at what you can do."

"I-I can't...I'm not-"

"Yes, you are," the Light Queen interrupted. "You are gifted."

Brea looked really taken aback at this, but after a nod of confirmation from Holly, she stepped forward and repeated the offering ritual thingy. I gasped when air swirled thickly around us, lifting our hair and rippling our clothes. The Queens whispered amongst each other, all looking happy and for some reason, relieved.

"She is the one, then," I heard the Water Queen say to the Fire one, who nodded.

Brea, in the meanwhile, just looked plain astonished.

And creeped out.

"I think we owe you an explanation now," the Light Queen said, her face hinting amusement. "We are the Queens of the Gifts at Goldwoode. Freya is the Queen of Fire." She indicated to Queen Freya, who allowed her hair to blaze upwards, and for her dress of flames to lick the floor. "Aquarielle is the Queen of Water."

The Water Queen cupped her hands together and they quickly filled with something which literally looked like liquid crystal. She then blew gently on the surface, and Brea, Holly and I were immediately smattered with its refreshing drops.

This was all so unreal! I pinched myself for a reality check.

Nope. I wasn't dreaming.

"Acelia, Queen of Ice," the Light Queen continued, gesturing to the Ice Queen on her left, who smiled at me and threw out her hands, showering us with tiny snowflakes. There was a hiss as a few landed on Queen Freya's flaming hair.

"Sister!" she gasped, frowning at Queen Acelia. I looked between them in surprise.

"Yes, we are sisters," the Air Queen said, grinning in a way which still made her look graceful, which I'm sure should be impossible!

"I am Aurora," she then added.

"And I," said the Light Queen, "am Rubis, Queen of Light - though no one has been gifted with this power since Lady Adeline The Honourable, a millennium ago. As the oldest sister of my sisters, I once again welcome you to our school."

"And I, as the second," said Queen Freya.

"And I, as the third," said Queen Aurora.

"And I, as the fourth," said Queen Acelia.

"And lastly I, as the fifth," said Queen Aquarielle. Then, she ended in a sing-song voice, "And though time has been gracious, we now must depart, we've learnt what we need to, let their journey now start!"

And suddenly there was a blinding flash like the one when we first came in. When I slowly opened my eyes a few seconds later, I saw us three were standing opposite a wall.

"Well," Brea breathed after a while. "That was definitely something."

"Yup." I could do no more than agree with her.