Chapter 10

CHAPTER TEN

I slowly pried my eyelids open.

Then blinked.

A starry sky stretched far above me, clear of any wandering clouds. The moon shone brightly, making the snow around me gleam a brilliant white.

What? Snow?!

I quickly sat up in shock. A shower of ice flew off my longish, tangled hair, then settled on the very thickly snow-coated lawn. I stared at my looming mansion of a house (wait - why did I say that? It IS a mansion...), while pinching myself for a reality check.

Am I dreaming? I wondered, gazing around the garden.

It was massive. Obviously. We are the Blakes. Bigger is Better, in our world.

I could see the towering trees of our mini 'forest' (as Dad likes to call it) trembling slightly in the cool air, the sharp icicles on them glinting in the soft light. The flowers and white roses Mum had tried in vain to plant to match the winter theme were frosted with a thin layer of sparkling ice. The way I described them makes it sound like they're really pretty. But I think I forgot to mention that the flowers have wilted...and that their leaves have yellow spots on them. LOTS of yellow spots. Even though Mum wont admit it.

"Elsa!" yelled a voice, breaking into my thoughts. I hastily got to my feet, looking around as I dusted myself off.

"Up here!"

I tilted my face towards a high up window where Li jumped up and down, practically falling out.

"You're alive!" she said, relieved. "Phew!"

"Umm, no, I'm dead," I said sarcastically, shaking my head. Then I got to more important matters as the rest of my friends gathered at the window, waving frantically.

"HOW ON EARTH DID I GET OUT HERE?!" I shouted, folding my arms and glaring at them as they passed sheepish looks to each other.

"Uh..." began June, scratching her head.

"After you fainted, I screamed, so your mum came in, saw you on the floor and panicked. We were all really flustered by then and she said we had to get you somewhere cold fast. So...we...kinda...threw you out the window," Jess said, a little meekly.

"Hey, it was for your own good," Trix muttered, looking anywhere but at me.

"Are you guys CRAZY? I could have died!" I shrieked, throwing my hands out dramatically, only then noticing how I was in a mud streaked, light nightsuit, with only one (faded) rainbow sock on.

"But you didn't!" grinned June optimistically, and the others flashed hesitant smiles.

"You're ok now though, right?" asked Jess, looking at me, concerned. She's so sweet and innocent-looking, you can't hold a grudge against her for long. I felt my tensed brow relax as I smiled at her. And the others. Kind of. Not really. (I still frowned at them).

"Do you want a jumper or something? This breeze is really picking up," said Amanda with a shiver. "Come inside, for goodness sake."

I shook my head, beginning to walk towards the house. "The cold never bothered me anyway."

Jess opened her mouth to burst into song (Let it Go - it's our new favourite), but the others groaned loudly and pushed her inside. June beckoned for me to hurry up so I quickly jogged up to the living room window, slid it open, and climbed inside.

And yes, I did look like a burglar.