Chapter 38

Suddenly the silver viper shot out my bag. Girls around me started screeching. I was probably screaming the loudest though, because it curled around my neck!

Blurry spots crowded my vision. I began feeling faint with fear. April was yelling something behind me, but obviously, with a snake about to strangle me to death, I wasn't really paying attention.

"I'm going to die!" I cried, frozen in horror and disgust. The viper or boa or WHATEVER that freaky reptile was began slithering round and round. Its grip wasn't getting tighter, but the cold feel of its rough and scaly skin was enough to make me vomit.

"HELP!" I yelled, girls around me all still screaming and running. April was trying to freeze the snake without sending ice shards at me, but her powers weren't very strong, and she could only manage to shower me in tiny crystals which threw it into a frenzy. It licked and hissed at my ear, coiling its tail around my ponytail...

Then, suddenly, I shrieked unexpectedly, "CHARLIE!"

And was even more surprised when he burst in a few seconds later, a look of confusion on his face, followed by Ralph, Chad and a couple of others I didn't know.

The snake lisped at Charlie, who walked ever so slowly towards me, holding eye contact with my captive. Everyone quietened down, stopping to watch. Thank goodness everyone was dressed.

Then, Charlie said something really strange. He opened his mouth and hissed. Exactly like a snake.

The snake paused from biting at my nose. Then I watched it curl away and glide over the top of my head. Charlie stared at me. I stared back. Then Charlie hissed, "Sustwahashussusssss" in a super creepy snakey whispery voice. I felt my blood run cold. Ralph tilted his head and motioned to me to sit down.

Ever so slowly, I bent my knees and began crouching. The snake began to unwrap itself from my neck. Then it slithered down my shoulder, causing me to shudder violently and catch my breath, and slid across the tiled floor, twisting around bags. When it got to Charlie, it hissed again, and stopped. Charlie hissed something back, then gathered a ball of fire in his palm. The snake shot off at a lightning speed, making everyone jump.

"That...was gross," a voice said with clear disgust.

J'adore. Who else would it be?

"Next time you want to keep dirty pests in your bag, please make sure I'm not around," she sneered, then sashayed off, flicking her hair in my face. The other girls slowly backed away, then grabbed their bags and rushed out, until it was only me, April, Charlie, Ralph and Chad left. My eyes glazed over as I remembered the fright I'd just experienced.

"You okay?" April asked quietly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head. "Traumatised."

"Yeah, you would be," April said, glancing at my neck. "Umm...you may not be able to sleep for...umm...like, five days."

"Only five?" I replied weakly, trying to smile.

"No, I mean...the viper of Agrovar traumatises you. You won't be able to sleep because it actually-"

"Elsa," Charlie suddenly said, his eyes widened. "Don't move." Beside him, Chad's jaw dropped open.

"No, no!" Ralph muttered, taking a few steps towards me.

"Move back," Charlie told Ralph, who narrowed his eyes.

"No way," Ralph growled. "Stop telling me what to do. Stay away from her, okay?"

"Elsa," Charlie said urgently as I began turning to April, scared. "Please, please don't move." He got to me in three strides and lifted a strand of hair. I moved my gaze to it and froze.

A glistening silver liquid, like mercury, stained it. For some reason, I knew it was-

"Venom." Chad whispered, staring in horror at it. "Elsa, don't move."

"If one drop touches your skin," Charlie said slowly, standing so close I could feel the tightness of his breathing, and the tension bottled up in his body. "If one drop touches your skin, you'll die."

---------

Yayyyyy a not-too-late update! Don't hate me! :D

Hope you're enjoying this story so far! I actually can't believe I got around to writing this. In about half an hour! Can you believe it?

Well, it's MY turn to read now. Recently started Heroes of Olympus! Percy Jackson was great! :)

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!!! :)

Who's your favourite character, btw? I really like Charlie and Elsa and Brea. But what do you guys think? Do you feel like you're similar to any specific character? Let me know in the comments!