Chapter 25

Holly

^

^

----

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

"Brea, wait!" Holly called as my friend stepped angrily into the climb box. Just as the doors were closing, Holly flicked her wrist at them and a gush of cool wind blew the silver panels wide apart.

"What?" snapped Brea, glaring at Holly, who was breathing heavily.

"Air, help," Holly murmured, then I watched her deeply inhale the air that was rushing around her.

"I said, what?" Brea snapped again.

Holly stood up properly then, look more energised. "You might have a gift we don't know about yet." Brea rolled her eyes, but slowly came back to us.

"Well, I better, or I'm gonna feel very left out," she grumbled, folding her arms. That's when I started to get a little annoyed with her.

"But at least you didn't have to believe you were a freak your whole life!" I said, thinking how ungrateful she was. She had everything!

"If I had ice powers I would love them and use them and show everyone!" Brea shot back.

"Why? You're so lucky! You have everything!"

"What?" she shouted. "What do I have? Nothing!" Her hands were balled into fists and I noticed mine were clenched too.

"Guys-" Holly began, looking worried, but we both threw a palm out at her to be quiet.

"You're clever. You're rich. You're the prettiest girl at school. Everyone likes you and wants to be your friend. Even the teachers love you!" I had realised jealousy had slipped into my tone, but I didn't care. I was being realistic and truthful!

"Oh yeah?" Brea cried. "Well, in case you didn't notice, in the last few days, my step mum died, my dad disowned me, I learnt I've got nothing left and will probably have to quit school and that stupid snob of a J'adore won't leave me alone!" She was angry now, narrowing her eyes and turning slightly red.

"Yeah, I understand that and I'm sorry for you, but you don't have to be all mean like that!" I cried in exasperation.

"My life has been ruined! What do you expect me to do?" Brea shrieked, throwing her hands out and leaving the tears to stream down her face.

"Now you just sound like one of those always sorry-for-themselves whiny teenagers!"

"Me? You're the one who's complaining about every little thing!"

"What? I'm complaining? Who's the one who said she's got nothing?"

"GIRLS!" Holly's super loud voice snapped into my head and we both turned around to see her fuming. "Shut up!" Then she lifted her chin in our direction and we were immediately engulfed in swirling air. I have to admit it did cool me down.

"Elsa, you should have been able to calm yourself using your powers. I'm really upset with both of you," she said in a normal tone. "And Brea, it's not right to pour out all your anger at someone who hasn't hurt you." Brea opened her mouth to say something, but then shut it again and nodded.

"Sorry."

"I'm sorry too," I said. Then I turned to Brea. "I didn't mean any of it." She gave me a small smile and said,"me neither."

"Ok, now that we're done with all that, let's get to work," Holly said, walking briskly to the climb box. Brea and I exchanged glances, then followed her in.

"When I said turn the AC on, I didn't mean on full blast," Brea said, shivering.

"But this is hardly even cold," I said, sighing and turning it down. We were in Holly's sleek black car, purring across a small road.

"Maybe not for you," Holly said, narrowly missing a rubbish bin in which a fox was playing. "But for Brea and I it's getting a little chilly." She shuddered, then said,"maybe you could have Fire?"

"You know, I really doubt I have anything," Brea said, and I heard her lean against the seat in the back. "Why are you so sure I've been gifted too?"

"Well, it can't be a mistake, they said to bring you as well," Holly muttered, more to herself than either of us. I frowned at her and asked,"who?"

"The Queens," she replied. When she caught Brea's huh? expression in the mirror, and saw me looking at her as if she was crazy (which was a thought that had passed through my mind more than a thousand times in the last few minutes), she sighed, and said,"I've got a lot of explaining to do, haven't I?"

"Yup," we both said.

"Ok. There are four Queens, and each of them rule over one gift. The Queens are extremely powerful and don't look like us, so you might be startled when you first see them. They are really ancient and I guess are kinda like both the spirit and ghost of their person from when they died. Does that make sense?" Holly asked, chewing her lip. Then she smiled and said "hey, we're almost there."

"That doesn't make sense," Brea said negatively. I ignored her and asked Holly,"but what I don't get is why people are schooled at night. Are they vampyres? Am I vampyre?" I turned my hands round in awe, then turned to face her when she replied.

"No, of course you're not a vampyre. That's kinda silly, even for you, Elsa."

"Sorry," I said. "But this is really weird, you know. I thought I was a completely freak with my ice powers, but now you're here telling me there are loads of people who go to the same school but not the same school and who are just the same. Confusing or what?"

"Umm, well, about that. The thing is..." Holly trailed off, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel. "Well...the reason we never told you about this is because you seem to be more powerful than anyone ever has at your age. In fact, you're the most powerful wielder of Ice right now. Except for the Queen, of course," she finished, and parked her car in the normal Goldwood lot outside the gates. Then we all opened the doors and stepped out into the night.

"Cold cold cold cold," Brea shuddered, wrapping her arms around herself. "I seriously wish I had Fire right now. Just think of all that lovely warmth!" She shot me a disapproving look as I smiled at the snowflakes I had fashioned around me just after she spoke. "That is just sooooo mean right now."

"What?" I asked innocently, twirling a strand of my blon-WHAT?

"Oh my gosh!" I gasped, staring at the hair twisted around my finger.

"It's brown!"