Chapter XXXII

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

 The morning dawned grey and cold, with the pattering of rain steadily drumming down onto the golden rooftops of the Palladium. Ben was the first to wake, aided by a solid knee to the jaw as Bobby rearranged his sleeping position, blissfully unaware.

"Odin's beard," he muttered, propping himself up on one elbow as Bobby started snoring again. A glance of exasperation crossed his features for a moment, groggily extracting himself from the tangle of blankets and his brother's sharp limbs. 

The shower beat down onto his shoulders, blissfully warm and he felt the vigour returning to his body as he squeezed a wad of gel into his hand and began humming a folksong his mor used to sing. A few minutes later he turned off the water and reached for a towel, drying himself with routine precision. His muscles had developed rapidly during their training sessions in the gymnasium, and he'd been eating as much as he could to sustain the gruelling workouts. A shallow cut in his forearm was healing well under the aether's tender ministrations, and he knew he'd likely receive a few more scrapes and lesions during the morning's training.

The Corybantes were starting to push them really hard, and he'd been pleased to see everyone rising to the challenge. 

Even Lissa's doing well, he observed thoughtfully, slipping on a pair of brais and a protective leather jerkin. She's getting stronger and less stroppy, even skilful with that little blade of hers.

He ran a hand through his short hair and allowed himself a brief moment to mentally admire the muscle tone the girl had developed, the dogged determination she'd shown when they'd been sparring with their trainers the day before.

She's growing up, that one.

His thoughts strayed to Ryaki, and he smiled wryly. It wasn't often he considered someone his equal in the ring, but he knew they'd be an even match if they ever sparred. 

She's small, but so quick and flexible she's probably run rings around me. I'm strong and fast, but she's got skill I don't.

It was an open admiration. He didn't grudge her her skill, and was glad he wasn't the only experienced fighter. The previous night's revelations had been a shock to her though, he knew that much. 

We're all a bit confused. I mean, a terramancer? I never thought I'd have a magical affinity for anything. And for her, something as dark and powerful as necromancy is a burden to bear for sure.

He left Bobby to sleep, heading out into the hall to get a head start on breakfast. A plate of bacon and a pile of scrambled eggs with toast was a good start. The sounds of the others stirring allowed him something to  focus on, and he listened to Dennis's off key singing with a hint of a smile. He looked up briefly as Daphne entered the hall, smiling at him as she came to help herself to breakfast. 

He tried to recall how she'd been faring in the Gymnasium, but failed to remember any details.

She helped herself to fruit and yogurt and sat beside him, legs crossed comfortably in front of her as she rearranged her skirt.

"How are you finding the Gymnasium?" he asked, biting into a thick slice of bacon.

She looked up, surprised to have him speak to her and he realised guiltily that he'd hardly paid he any attention at all.

"Oh, the training?" She shrugged. "It's a challenge, but I think we've all found our strong points by now and that helps."

"How's that?" he asked, genuinely curious.