Chapter XVII

"What have you got there?" Rich looked over her shoulder, his arm full of books. She pointed at the picture.

"Do you think these are real?"

He stared admiringly.

"Wow! I really hope so."

He took the seat across from her, leaning forward on his elbows.

"You know what?" he asked conspirationally. "I'm actually pretty cool about all this. Dying, coming here, being part of a prophesy, you know?"

She smirked a little. "Yeah, well, apparently we have Divine Blood, right? Not many people would complain about that."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Just saying..."

He rolled his eyes at her and began poring through a thick leather-bound book.

"Did you know the aether gave these to me? It's like a magic librarian."

"Really?" 

She observed the tendrils swirling lazily overhead. 

"You're right," she finally admitted. "This place is pretty awesome. I really want to know what we're meant to do here, you know? Kicking butt on Earth was my kind of deal. I don't want to be some kind of posh princess or whatever."

Rich laughed. "Yeah, I know what you mean. Badass partners for life, right?"

Ryaki grinned back. "Yeah. For life."

She kicked him under the table.

"You'd be a terrible prince, anyway."

"And you'd suck as a princess," he countered, snickering.

She smirked back at him, smiling as she stroked the smooth parchment. 

Some things never change. 

I guess I am thankful we have a second chance, and didn't die for good.

The absurdity of the situation made her snort under her breath. 

Rich looked up inquiringly, but she ignored him, tucking her boots underneath her as she snuggled into the chair to read. She turned the page, prepared for the next monster to jump off the page.

She wasn't disappointed. A fearsome creature with the head and body of a lion was inked on the thick parchment, its mouth wide in a giant roar, displaying three sets of teeth. It had the tail of a scorpion, and set of wide, dark wings.

I do not want to meet one of those, she thought.

"The manticore is a fearsome beast with the body of a lion, tail of a scorpion, and bat-like wings. Most manticores have human-like blue eyes. This creature possesses the ability to shoot poisoned barbs from its tail, wounding and killing enemies with ease. 

By far one of the most dangerous beasts alive, the manticore is a well-known man-eater and is to be avoided at all costs. It has a call like that of a trumpet or panpipes. It uses this to lure men into forests and jungles, it's natural habitat.

It is unnaturally swift and strong, and desires human flesh above all else. The breeding habits of the manticore are unknown, and lifespans have yet to be recorded."

She blinked.

Oh crap. They're not all friendly little guys, are they.

Rich pushed his book across at her.

"Check out these babies."

Beautifully detailed colour illustrations stretched across the pages, showing dragons of every size and shape, their scales glistening. Hints of smoke seemed to drift from their delicate flared nostrils, and she leaned closer to get a better look.