Chapter XXVII

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Chronos led the way to the portal, taking hold of Dennis’s arm as soon as he was there.

“Are you ready?"

"Hell yeah!" Dennis nodded enthusiastically.

"Do not think of any place but the Academy of Mageia,” Chronos warned, his stone eyes a solemn grey. 

“Got it.”

When Dennis opened his eyes, he knew he was no longer on Saturn. The sky was dark, a few stars twinkling in the distance. The breeze was chilly, and he shivered a little in his light cotton shirt.

“Chronos? Where are we?”

“Our destination. Welcome to the Academy of Mageia.”

The grey-haired man stepped from the mossy platform and descended a series of steps. The stones appeared to have little foot traffic, as they were covered in a soft green moss that squeaked under their feet.

Dark stone walls loomed in the distance and Dennis hurried to keep up as he navigated the narrow winding path. There seemed to be a sheer drop off either side, but it was dark and he couldn’t really tell.

I don’t really what to know.

Dennis wished his light rune would work. It was cold and lifeless in his hand, and he frowned a little.

Odd. Why has it stopped working?

He touched it, willing it to glow, but had no luck.

"Stay close behind me, Dennis, this path is dangerous," Chronos cautioned him, and he hurried along in the god's footsteps. The shadows surrounding them were the blackest of blacks, and he shivered again as they approached the door of the Academy. 

To be honest, it looks more like a fortress, he thought. Not quite what I expected, but— 

The door creaked open in front of them, revealing a tall, thin boy with ghostly white skin and long blonde hair.

“Master Chronos. I do apologize for the inhospitible greeting. We were not expecting you.”

He welcomed them inside with a graceful motion of his hand.

“Master Arcus will be with you presently.”

His voice was crisp and clipped, and despite the boy’s frail frame, Dennis eyed him warily.

He’s got secrets, I can tell. I don’t trust him.

The boy’s pale blue eyes flicked over to him immediately, and he cocked his head slightly before holding out a thin hand. His skin was so translucent, Dennis could see the fine webbing of blue veins. He accepted the handshake, slightly reluctant.

“I am Master Arcus’s apprentice,” the boy explained. “Jack. Pleased to meet you.”

“Dennis,” he returned, clearing his throat noisily.

“Delighted to make your acquaintance,” the boy returned.

Is this some dupe from Pride and Prejudice? Dennis groused. Jesus Christ, what a suck up.

“Master Arcus requested that I escort you to the library,” the youth said, with a nod of his head.

“Excellent. Shall we?”

Dennis stared at Chronos, betrayed.

What the hell? He’s playing along with this charade?