Chapter XIII

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Ryaki breathed a sigh of relief as Rich crept through the open door.

“What’s up?” He mouthed.

She jerked her head toward the open bedroom door, holding up two fingers. He nodded in understanding, skirting round the room and crouching carefully to take a look into the bedroom. 

“It’s a girl,” he mouthed.

Ryaki nodded in understanding. She motioned to the sleeping man, and they swapped places, tiptoeing on the tiles.

The girl was sound asleep, wrapped in the bed covers. Ryaki steeled herself and reached out, shaking her shoulder. She could hear Rich mumbling in the living room as he moved to wake up the man. 

The girl murmured and stirred slowly, before opening sleep-dazed eyes. She frowned blearily, rubbing her eyelids, and stared at Ryaki.

“Who are you?”

Ryaki was glad that she didn’t scream.

“I’m Ryaki, and I’m here with my friend Rich. We work for Intel International, and you’re in danger right now. You need to come with us.”

“Where’s Matthaios?” The girl looked wary. Ryaki didn’t blame her.

It’s not every day that a girl in a black bodysuit wearing a set of laser pistols wakes you up in the middle of the night.

“He’s in the lounge, with Rich. He’s fine.”

At that moment a dull thud sounded and she heard Rich grunt. 

“I’m here to help you.“ she heard him say through clenched teeth, guessing he was restraining the man.

Ryaki looked back at the girl. “Pack a small bag with a warm change of clothes. We have to hurry.”

She stalked back into the lounge. Matthaios was looking mutinous, his wrists clasped behind his back with a set of handcuffs. She frowned at Rich.

“Was that necessary?”

“He punched me in the jaw,” Rich complained. She rolled her eyes, unlocking the cuffs. 

“He’s not our prisoner,” she chided, before looking the tall, dark-eyed and angry man squarely in the face. “You may not understand right now, and this might come as a shock, but about half an hour ago England was declared as under marshall law.”

Matthaios’ black eyes widened in shock.

“We’re from Intel International, and you need to come with us. You’ve got some valuable files from KCCJ that they really don’t want you to have,” she continued.

He looked suspicious.

“We have the files, too, I'm not here to take your stuff. In fact, I’m the one who stole them. It’s typical corporate dirty dealing, and they’ll be out here to 'eliminate' you as soon as they can."

She paused to let that sink in.

"So make your choice. I’m getting your girlfriend ready to go.”

“Are you serious?” His question wasn’t spoken in jest.

“Absolutely.”

“Alright. Let me grab a jacket.”

Daphne appeared in the doorway looking scared, clasping a small bag.

“Good. We need to go, now.”