Prologue.

COPYRIGHTED. 

Whatever It Takes. All characters, setting, storyline, etc rightfully belong to the author. Not affiliated or associated with any producers, creators, celebrities or owners.

Disclaimer: I'm currently in the process of editing this story. It has plenty of grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes so be aware. Enjoy reading, lovelies!

Prologue. 

"Don't go to that party, Ray. I'm telling you. Don't go." I pleaded, my tone stern as I ran my hands through my loose curls. 

Pacing around half the perimeter of the room, Ray scoffed with an eye roll. "I'm going, Chantelle. You can't tell me what to do." 

"Something bad is going to happen. I can feel it," I sighed hopelessly, knowing well that these attempts were of no use. "Please, just don't go."

Ray simply hook his head and chuckled. He was fed up with the amount of control Chantelle had over him. Mya was right — she did take up most of his life. It was time he put her back into her place. She was his friend, not his girl.

"Chantelle! You've always tried to boss me around and we're not even in a relationship! It's not that hard to understand. I'm still going to that party! This is my decision."

With that, he began towards the door. 

Don't let him go. "Raquan. If you step foot out of that door, don't you dare ever think about coming back." 

"I'm tired of your complaints," Ray bursted out in anger, grabbing me by the arms to give a threatening shake. "I'm going to that party and that's final!"

Never had he put his hands on me. The surprise of it all was overwhelming, I couldn't help but to break out into tears. He couldn't go. I wasn't ready to lose him. No, not just yet. Not ever. He was my everything; more than a best-friend, but a confidant..

With the revelations of recent events, this party was not where he was supposed to be and I was only trying to look out for his safe-keeping.

"Ray." I called out, sobs still on fresh. Without uttering another word, he threw a disgusted glare and unlocked the front door, heading to the front lawn. From my view of the window, I watched as he entered his car.

Please Lord, don't let him get hurt. If anything happens to him, my whole world would come crashing down.

I dug into my pocket and brought out my phone, quickly dialing in Lauren's number. I needed my best-friend — well, in this case, my other best-friend at the moment.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Lauren?" I spoke into the as I wiped away tears from my eyes. Her answering the phone was a good enough of a relief. 

"How'd it go? Is he still going to the party?" 

I nodded my head as if she could see me. "I tried my best, Ren... But he wouldn't listen to me." 

"We'll just have to see what happens," She tried to reason, "I have to go. My mom is throwing one of her fits again."

"Okay, girl. Goodnight." I farewelled before hanging up the phone. It was a late night and my parents, as always, were busy at work. My brother was out at a friend's house for the night, leaving me to dwell in my own company. I licked my lips and walked upstairs to my room.

The party tonight wasn't too far from my house, but it sure wasn't walking distance. Turning on my laptop, I anxiously logged into Facebook and browsed through the newsfeed to see what updates I could get my hands on. Selfies and live videos has already begun flooding the stream. Nearly everyone from school was there, or so it seemed.

Not really interested, I shook my head and logged out of my profile. 

The voice inside my head is right. My instincts will soon come to pass when the time is right... I just knew it.

I turned off my room lights and climbed into my bed, wrapping the duvet around my body, enjoying the warmth it brought. Like a baby, I was asleep.

Until...

BOOM... — BOOM. BOOM. 

The distinct sounds of gunshots rang sharp through the night, bringing me out of my slumber. I quickly sat up in my bed and looked around into the darkness, screaming out loud.

Tears began pouring out my eyes and I instantly knew that someone was hurt. "Ray!" I yelled out loud. Still wrapped around in my duvet, I silently rocked myself in my bed, allowing the tears of hurt, anger and most of all, betrayal run down my face.

What a rude awakening.

____________________________________________________________________________________