Chapter 13

A/N

From this point on Tara's name will be changed to Lazuli.  I will go back and change Tara's name, but for now you will have to keep that in mind while you read. Vote and comment please!!!

I woke up when Connor pulled me tightly to his chest, well tighter than he must have been when we were sleeping. He rolled some, so that one of my shoulders were pinned under his. I squirmed slightly and his hold loosened some. “Sorry.” He mumbled, sounding more than half-asleep. “You're fine.”, I whispered back softly as his head curled into my neck. I gently trailed my fingers up his arm and across his back, making him shiver, as I tangled my fingers in his hair.

He sighed, “You win, I’m awake.” I smiled and pushed him away from me as I sat up. He sucked in a sharp breath when I stretched. “What?” I asked self-consciously and made sure that I had a shirt on. “Oh n-nothing, sorry.” He stammered, sounding distracted as I heard him get off of the bed and quickly leave the room. Confused, I felt my face for slobber or drool, then my shirt, and I gasped.

My shirt's top was halfway down my torso, and I never wear anything under my shirts when I sleep. I buried my face in my hands, completely embarrassed that he saw that, Humiliated tears ran down my face. I pulled up my shirt and yanked the blanket around me. Stacking pillows on top of my head so that I wouldn't be seen by anybody.

I heard someone come in the room despite my sobbing and the numerous pillows covering me. I cringed under the blankets and hoped it wasn't Connor as I quieted my sobs. I felt someone gently touch my shoulder. “Maria.” Connor whispered softly.

I twisted further under the blanket with a wordless sob. “Maria please!” Connor pleaded with me. I untwisted slightly, but it was enough to encourage him. “I know you're mad, but please hear me out!” He rushed out as his hand gently tugged at the edge of the blanket. I froze and turned my head slightly in his direction, and he must've saw me. “I'm so so so so sorry,” He gushed immediately, “I never meant to see you like that. I was being stupid and I looked over when you moved and- Gosh, please forgive me, I never meant to see anything I swear! Please don't be mad at me!”

“You-,” I whispered hoarsely before clearing my throat, “You think I’m mad at you? Why?” I could sense that he was shocked that I spoke. “Um,” He whispered softly, confused, “I thought you were angry at me because I looked at you when you were inappropriate. I never meant to, I was foolish. I’m sorry.” I gently reached out my hand as I uncovered my head. He took my hand with a grateful sigh.

“You're forgiven,” I whispered, finding the words much easier to say than I thought. He sighed and briefly ducked his head, I could feel him move. “Thank you,” He whispered, looking up, “Thank you so much for forgiving me.” I released his hand and buried my face under the covers again.

“What? What is it?” He asked, “Did I do something wrong?” I shook my head, and I knew he could see it. “It was my fault,” I mumbled miserably, “If I wasn't blind then I would've known and you never would've felt bad or seen anything.” I started sobbing, and I felt his hand touch my shoulder through the cover. “It's not your fault, nor is it mine. We were both just in a bad situation. You seeing wouldn't have changed anything, just like being blind didn't cause the problem.”

I felt better after he comforted me, so much so that I hugged him, my arms around my neck. He tensed briefly before relaxing and hugging me back. He buried his face into my neck. I copied him and we just sat there, comforting each other in silence. A guard ran in, startling us both. “Captain, Midnights are invading!”

There was only one startled second before Connor jumped into action, pulling me up by my arm and demanding answers from the guards.

“From which side are they attacking?”

“The north, near the collapsed tunnel.”

“How many do we have out there now, and how many does the opponent have in numbers?”

“Our numbers are around fifty, but they outnumber us with up to two-hundred fighters.”

“Have our allies been notified? Are they still in the Falls?”

“No sir, our messengers have all been attacked out of the sky, no one has been able too contact the Falls.”

Connor cursed in another language, abruptly pulling me to a stop. I was so shocked by his immediate halt that I stumbled. “Sorry Princess, there is no time to be gentle. Call Lazuli, you two need to be together.” Connor ordered as he suddenly turned and continued his hurried pace. “Should we put her in the safe room?” The guard asked as I made a mental connection with Lazuli.

Connor stopped and his hand tightened around my arm. “No,” He decided, “She would be defenseless there. We need a plan on how to get her out and to the Falls without them noticing.” Lazuli came around the corner of the hall, giving me a clear view on my surroundings.

Connor was holding my arm, as I could feel, but he was standing protectively in front of me. The guard, a well-built teenager of about sixteen with brown hair and eyes, was in front of him, standing stiff as a board. Lazuli came up to my side when the guard figured out what Connor meant.

“You mean a diversion?”

“Yes,” Connor said, his face lighting up with an idea, “That's exactly what I mean.” I nervously put my hand on Lazuli's neck. Don't worry, She said in my head as she nuzzled my neck, Connor has us in good hands. Zvire flew into the hall right when we heard a loud crash that shook the walls.

Lazuli, Zvire, the guard, and Connor all leaped to cover me as rocks started falling from the ceiling. I screamed as the hall collapsed on us. Zvire took most of the blow, being the one who was protecting Lazuli, and was unconscious. After the ringing in my ears faded I called for Connor.

“Connor?” I whimpered, too afraid to raise my voice. “Maria, I’m here.” He whispered hoarsely as his arms moved from around me. I realized that he was the one ho took everything that was supposed to fall on me. “Connor, are you okay?” I whispered worriedly as my hand found his cheek. “I'll be fine,” He coughed, “Are you injured?”

I felt something warm and slick on my fingers from where they rested against his cheek. “You're bleeding?” I whispered in confusion, “How badly are you hurt?” He shook his head under my fingertips, “Are you injured?” His voice was going weaker and soon he was unconscious.

“She's here!” Someone called loudly from outside of the debris. I flinched and shuddered, shaking Connor gently. “Connor?” I whimpered, “Connor wake up, they're here.” He moaned softly, but there was no other response. I could hear them clearing away the rocks and and other debris that covered us.

I shook Connor again as a last resort. I cowered when I felt them move Connor off of me, leaving me in the hostile gazes of the Midnights. “Come on Princess,” A sneering voice mocked, “The King wants to see you.” I had no choice but to follow him when he pulled me up by my arm.