Chapter 26 1/2

I woke up slowly after sleeping one of the best nights I ever had. I looked down at Maria from where she was splayed out on my chest, her dark hair fanning out behind her. My hand was loosely laying on her lower back, I stroked up her spine, feeling the shivers through a magnifying glass of emotion.

She moaned and curled her fingers weakly into fists. “Stop,” She muttered, “I'm trying to sleep.” I couldn't help it, I started laughing loudly, having to move her off of me to keep her from getting a concussion as I did. She humphed and sat up, crossing her arms over her chest.

I calmed down after a moment or two, and I caught her trying to hide a smile. I pulled her down onto me again with a playful growl, she shrieked in surprise and laughed as I flipped us over. “Sorry for laughing,” I murmured, kissing her nose, “You just were so dang cute, but you said that, it was hilarious.”

She swatted my face away, but she as smiling, “Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. Get off of me, I’m hungry and I have to pee.” I chuckled again and rolled off of her. I lay limply on the bed, just enjoying the feeling of closeness we have, even when she is across the room. We were connected-

“Stop that,” She said, interrupting my thoughts, “You sound like a creepy teen drama show. I’m taking a shower, you have to stay out here.” I grinned and leaped up, racing her to the bathroom. We made it there at the same time so I scooped her into my arms and slammed the door shut behind us.

She rolled her eyes and started the water.

I dressed lazily, knowing it was too late to do much of anything except go right back to sleep again. She came out of the bathroom slowly, yawning and slowly rubbing her eyes. I smiled and held my arms out to her, which she nonchalantly climbed into.

I chuckled when she leaned her head on my shoulder and yawned again. “You look like a child. Did I really wear you out that much?” She grumbled wordlessly and cuddled closer, her eyes slipping closed with fatigue. I smiled and set my head gently on hers, happy to just be able to spend time with her.

After thinking she was gone forever, just hearing her breathing sent waves of happiness through my veins. I sighed contently and breathed in her scent gratefully. I jerked slightly in surprise when there was a soft knock on the door. I briefly considered ignoring it, but then another knock followed, a bit louder, in the customary council fashion.

I groaned softly and carefully laid Maria down on the bed, making sure that she didn't wake. I cautiously lifted my weight of of the bed slowly so she wouldn’t stir. Creeping over to the door, I pressed the doorknob down and quietly slipped into the hallway.

It was the reader who had let us go. I leaned back in surprise, “Oh, what do you need sir?” He smiled and gestured back at the door behind me, “She really is quite a sweet girl isn't she?” My guard instantly shot up, and I tried to keep them suspicion out of my voice and my thoughts when I answered, treading carefully.

“Surprisingly after everything she has been put through. I'd do anything to make sure nothing else taxes her right now.”

He smiled, “Threat noted, but I’m not here to use her. I think it is rather unfair what they are thinking of doing with her. That's why I championed you against the council.” His smile fell and he looked hesitant to say what was on his tongue. “The mating,” He began softly, “The unusual transformation she underwent, was not without consequences.” he stopped and seemed very reluctant to explain. I tensed up at the number of threats that could be lurking underneath his words.

“What do you mean?” I said darkly, making him nervously shift his weight and bring his hands together in front of him.

“Maria,” He began sadly, “Will never recover.”

A/N

Sorry the spacing and font is so sporadic. I just got my internet back :D so happy, but I'm unused to doing this and I haven't written for a while, so support is needed, patience is required ;) sorry this is only a tidbit, but I thought that my faithful readers and fans needed something for their continued dedication,

with that note, adiu, time for sleep