Chapter 3

I woke up when something sighed loudly. I moaned in pain. The ground beneath me stopped moving. I tried to open my eyes but the pain wouldn't let me. 

    "Calm down, little one.", A girl's voice, a little older than me, twenty-three or so, said soothingly. I instantly relaxed, her words soothed me. "Go back to sleep, I will protect you.", She said as warmth enveloped me gently. I sighed and curled closer to the warmth. I slowly drifted back to sleep. 

    When I woke up I felt a heavy weight on my back. It was hurting me, a lot. I took a deep breath and cautiously looked over my shoulder to see what it was. 

    I gasped loudly as I realized that it was a giant, scaly claw. I instantly froze and waited to see if I woke it. After a few silent minutes I carefully moved my head to where I could see it's other claw laying by my head. 

    Slowly, moving by centimeters, I tried to slide out from under it's claw without touching the other one. I must have moved too quickly because it scooped me up in a claw and pressed me against it. 

     It's claws left huge gouges going down my back. I screamed at the same time it did. It dropped me as it reared back onto it's hind legs. 

    I rolled quickly to avoid being crushed by it's front claws that were being smashed repeatedly into the ground. Rolling twisted my leg painfully and the beast and I screamed again in unison. 

    I covered my head with my arms as It reared back again. Connor dashed in right at that moment. It only took him a second to figure out what was happening and to get into action. 

    He somehow made it to me, grabbed me, and made it out from under it without getting crushed. I clung to him as I buried my face into his chest. I was shaking, burning with various pains, and about to cry. I expected for him to run from the room yelling, 'Monster!' Instead he waited for it to calm down and started walking towards it. "No!", I whimpered and clenched my hands into fists around his shirt. 

    "Shh." Connor murmured to me, "You'll thank me later Maria." I whimpered and shook my head against his chest. "You're bleeding?", He asked, shifting my weight to his other arm. 

    "It clawed me.", I whispered softly without looking up from his chest. I tensed as I felt warm breath huff on my shoulders and arms. I trembled as he took a step closer. 

    "Please stop.", I begged him softly. "Just touch her. I'll walk away after you reach out and touch her nose.", Connor said softly. I swallowed and slowly stretched my hand out towards where I felt the breath coming from. 

    I whimpered as I felt something slick under my fingers. It pressed my palm against it and I felt the same warmth from last night. I remember the voice and I tried to match it with the beast in front of me. 

    I cautiously turned away from his chest to look at it. I stopped breathing. 

    Starring back at me was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. Like the beautiful dragons from my old storybooks. With a smooth snout the curved down over a smiling mouth. With arching eyebrows over dark jewel-eyes. 

    Her whole body was covered in smooth black scales. They felt like silk on my fingertips. "What's her name?", I breathed to Connor, everything else forgotten. 

    "Lazuli.", Connor said softly.

A/N

Crap, another short chapter. Sorry, I just have everything planned out so maybe the next chapter will be bigger. :l